Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2017, 09:47 PM

Default Surplus shoot off

Well sort of. Actually I just had 10-20 rounds left from 100 round lots of ammo.

I took the M39, 1903A3 and K31 out of the safe. Swabbed the bores and made sure each of the action screws were tight. Each rifle has an excellent bore.

I fired 2 - 3 rounds for sighters then a 10 shot group at 100 yards from the bench. I'm not an expert bench shooter. My biggest excuse is the lighting at the (indoor) range was poor. Results pictured below.

1. M39 - Fired PPU 182 grain match. I sold an M39 years ago (for the 1903a3) and this one shoots about the same. Im still tweaking with the front band screw tension to minimize stringing.

Adjusting the sights on this rifle is cake. Each dot on the front sight post equals 5/8" at 100 yards. All you do is loosen the side you want the post to move. Rear sight only goes down to 150 meters. Front sight post covers the bottom of SR1 nicely.

Trigger is a nice two stage and is not a hindrance whatsoever. Recoil is stout but surpisingly tolerable given the 182 grain loading.

Ergonomically I've never been a fan of straight bolt designs. The rifle balances very nicely and my guess is the heaviest of the three.

2. K31 - Fired 110 grain speer hotcors over 50 grains of 4064. I've had this rifle for 6.5 years now and have almost 2000 rounds down the pipe. I've shot smaller groups with it - down to 2 inches.

Trigger on both my K31s is just as good as any modern production match trigger. Has a long first stage that backs into a definitive "wall" (second stage) and then breaks like glass. It does have a large amount of overtravel though.

Sights are not quite as good as the M39 in terms of adjustment and picture. The front sight is more narrow that the M39 and can be drifted it it's dovetail for windage.

3. 1903A3 - Fired same loading as the K31.

Trigger is two stage with creepy and heavy second stage. Not horrible, not great either.

Sights are of course vastly better on the 1903A3 than either of the aforementioned rifles. By design, these sights can be easily adjusted to the center of the target.

I have a k stock on mine and the ergonomics are so much better. I've noticed this stock does not seem to suffer from stock tension on the barrel like the K31 and M39.

I absolutely enjoy all three rifles which is why I have at least one of each. The targets speak for themselves. If I had to only have one it would be the K31. It's as close to a match rifle that a battle rifle gets. I'm left handed and can actually operate the action reasonably quick. There is a host of aftermarket non-prermanet accessories available. Admittedly, if I was right handed I would be more partial to the 1903A3 simply for the better sights and more common caliber.

Hope you enjoyed,
Bill

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2017, 04:46 AM

I assume you meant a C stock on your 03-A3.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:32 AM

Just sold my K31. No tack driver despite near new bore .etc. Straight pull bolt was not conducive to accurate firing. Favorite is the Model 1917
Old 11-14-2017, 10:15 AM

[QUOTE=.22shooter;1654825]
I absolutely enjoy all three rifles which is why I have at least one of each. The targets speak for themselves. If I had to only have one it would be the K31.
Bill

Sir, I think with hand loads all those targets would truly show far better 100 yd accuracy. I own all three of these rifles as you do. All 3 are 99% bores and will shoot 1 inch or under at 100 yds, all day long with proper ammo.

If this was a bet on which rifle , iron sights, and proper ammo would shoot tightest group, I'd have put money on the K31, and its trigger has a lot to do with that view point.

The flaw of your test was Surplus ammo which hardly will bring out the true accuracy of your rifles. Granted you stated it was a Surplus Ammo test so results indicate old ammo, surplused out of military use , does at times shoot poorly.

When surplus ammo was everywhere cheap for these calibers, general results posted by shooters was about 3 MOA results at 100 yds and often worse. I know many shooters who got turned off quality surplus rifles due to non performance with surplus ammo and sold them off. Their loss was my gain as I fed the rifles quality handloads and accuracy followed .

Nice rifles you have there. I have some loads developed for all 3 if you would like them. Loads that hold to 1000 yds.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIRED View Post
I assume you meant a C stock on your 03-A3.
I extrapolated a bit and assumed it was a WWII "C" stock made by Keystone with a K stamped in the cutoff slot.

I'm what you'd call a legend in my own mind.

2071 posts on the old forum - not that I'm counting . . .
Old 11-15-2017, 08:55 AM

K-31 nice..heavy though. My choice is the Swede 6.6x55. Low recoil very accurate.
No wonder the Russians had trouble invading Finland..the 6.5 reaches out ..flat
Old 11-17-2017, 12:10 PM

I'm sorry I don't believe that your unaltered surplus rifles shoot 1 MOA "all day long." I have AR15s that truly shoot <1MOA. I have fired groups that I cannot consistently repeat with each of these rifles that are below 2 MOA.

And milipreb I used hand loads for 2/3 rifles fired. You should read a post in its entirety.

The picture below is a group fired from the same K31 with the same ammo at 100 yards.

Bill

Last edited by .22shooter; 11-17-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xring View Post
My choice is the Swede 6.6x55. Low recoil very accurate. No wonder the Russians had trouble invading Finland..the 6.5 reaches out ..flat
Probably not all the way from Sweden to Finland, where the Finns fought the Russians with Russian rifles.

I'm what you'd call a legend in my own mind.

2071 posts on the old forum - not that I'm counting . . .