Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2011, 11:07 AM

I know of a gunshop in Northwest Ohio that operates out of a giant vault. The showroom is a gunsafe complete with a steel vault door that you walk through. I believe they could have over 2 million dollars in inventory in their giant showroom/vault. The shop deals in very high end shotguns and rifles. I have seen shotguns for sale that cost over 100 thousand dollars each in the showroom. I don't believe that a thief could pick up and walk away with their safe. It is the size of a small machine shed.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:48 AM

Easy to hit $2MM in value. If he was into FA weapons, it's not hard to hit $20,000 with any heavy machine gun. I've seen them go for right at $100K often. And true rare antiques and early Colts can easily top $20K each.

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/nf...gi?read=135274

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/nf...gi?read=135100

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/nf...gi?read=134873

Most likely what he had was not what most collectors have, an RSC but a true safe, maybe a walk-in. Good reason to be very careful who you let know you have a gun collection, especially tradesmen. They talk to a lot of friends and buddies.

Last edited by medalguy; 02-09-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:50 AM

Default Thieves would be disappointed...

if they ripped of my safe. Except for my two M1s, the rest are 100 dollar surplus rifles....pawn shops would give you 40 bucks apiece for them. Not worth getting shot over.....seeing I am retired and always home and well armed......chris3
Old 02-09-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 139 View Post
Burglaries are crimes of oppourtunity, quick in and out, grab it and run...
Technically, what you are describing is, "theft". Burglary is the act of breaking and entering for the purpose of committing another crime, i.e., theft, robbery, kidnapping, murder, etc.. It is a separate offense.

But you are correct, the distinction between theft and robbery is the presence of a "victim", and the use of force or threat of force.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 139 View Post
With the current job and housing market being what it is, I think you'll be seeing alot more thefts and burglaries.

Any subject can go to a public library and log onto the internet and look for people posting about their collections and putting up pictures. All the prisons and most county jails have computer access as well .

Don't make yourself a focal point of interest by posting what you may or may not have and how much ammo you may or may not have. It's like putting an ad in the newspaper.
Also, I have heard that many cell phones with cameras will imprint an electronic GPS code into the picture which will, with the correct program, tell the viewer exactly where the picture was taken. If you post pictures of your prize guns, you may also be providing the whole world the location of your collection. This situation is also something your attractive 20-year old daughters or girl friends may want to consider before posting on social websites photos of themselves taken at their homes. Some of the sites sterilize the GPS information before putting the pictures up, but I do not think that they all do.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:09 PM

Default Home Invasion

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...bay&id=7944582

This happened about 40 miles from me .Apparently from one news account he answered his door late in the evening and they subdued him...beat him....forced him to give them the code to the safe. Took him till the next morning to free himself. Someone knew what he had !!
Old 02-09-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly One View Post
Here's another here in NC- much smaller amount. Thieves pull the gun safe right through the home.

http://www2.nbc17.com/news/2011/feb/...ome-ar-765728/
Somebody ought to send this one to Jeff Foxworthy. "If your gun safe is worth more than (or more solid than?) your mobile home... "

Old 02-09-2011, 09:59 PM

They don't have to be full auto, or even rare or antique. A safe full of Perazzi and Krieghoff shotguns and a couple custom rifles or drillings could get into the 7 figures pretty easily. Heck, a few of the recent CMP auctions went well into the 5 figures, and that's not uncommon.

This one's got a $40k BIN price.

This one's selling for $35k.

A rack grade IP Carbine for $230k
$136k for an M1A1

Last edited by dpd3672; 02-09-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman View Post
I wonder how the poor contents of the safe fared after being dragged through the house & then a field? Everything smashing around inside. Might of turned some correct/collector types into rack/field types.
At least they didn't get em.
Just saw your posts. I did not get info on make of safe. However I did talk to one of his neighbors. This fellow has a private turkey shoot range set up on his property. So he was well known as having firearms. The thieves took about 30 firearms that were not locked up out of his house. He said that the contents in the safe were all junk after being rolled down the road. For whatever reason his homeowners insurance isn't covering the damage to his home. It's got big blue tarps all over it.