Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2014, 12:34 PM

I'm with the pay off debt & stay out of debt crowd.

In my area (within driving range of the South store), Garands & carbines don't seem to be appreciating. I think there's a Garand glut around here, & there's an adequate supply of carbines. Decent carbines have been about $800 for a few years now, & Garands seem to sell (not asking price, but sale price) pretty close to CMP prices.

Maybe Garands will start appreciating a couple years after the CMP supply dries up?
Old 10-03-2014, 12:41 PM

FWIW. In 2004 I priced rear tractor tires @ $200/tire. I got all exicted at the price. 2009 I had to by tractor tires because they were shot-the price had now jumpted to $550 for the same tire. In 2008 my retirement savings lost 48% of its value. Looking back I should have invested in Rubber!!! LOL!!
Old 10-03-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reliabilityman View Post
FWIW. In 2004 I priced rear tractor tires @ $200/tire. I got all exicted at the price. 2009 I had to by tractor tires because they were shot-the price had now jumpted to $550 for the same tire. In 2008 my retirement savings lost 48% of its value. Looking back I should have invested in Rubber!!! LOL!!

I've got a kid that costs me $12,000 a year just for daycare and will cost me more than that, starting next year, for tuition and day care. Looking back, I should have invested in "rubber", too.

(of course, I'm joking. I love my little financial liability...I mean daughter...to death)
Old 10-03-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oodnoodn View Post
In my area (within driving range of the South store), Garands & carbines don't seem to be appreciating. I think there's a Garand glut around here, & there's an adequate supply of carbines. Decent carbines have been about $800 for a few years now, & Garands seem to sell (not asking price, but sale price) pretty close to CMP prices.
Same in SW Ohio about 3 hours from the NS. When the NS was stocked it was about 10% below CMP prices because most people seemed to know where to get them and didn't want to pay "retail".
Old 10-03-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGG99 View Post
At my office today we were chatting about what would be the best way to invest a "spare" $10,000 (if you had it). The investment had to be legal, it could be long or short term.

The suggestions were as follows.

1. Our accountant said to pay off all credit card debt because that translates into a huge savings on CC interest.

2. Another cooworker suggested that fully funding your 401k or Roth would result in that amount of offset income tax be added to the total depending on your tax bracket.

3. I personally think that M1 Garands or Carbines seem to be very good investments these days. It seems that the "average" price of a complete rifle has risen at least 30% or so in the last 3 years. And I'm not even considering the upside of parting rifles out.

What do other people think?

As others have said, It's a no brainer - kill the CC debt. There is no chance on earth firearms are going to outpace the carrying costs of that debt. Your garands and carbines didn't go up 30% in value, your dollars dropped in value. start comparing the cost of firearms to precious metals.

We have managed to stay 100% credit card debt free for about 5 years now. It's the greatest feeling in the world. I used to feel "rich" because I had $150,000 in CC limits. Now I AM rich not having any CC debt.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:58 PM

Getting investment advice here is comparable to looking for gun advice on an investment forum, lol.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:12 PM

Get out of debt and don't go back into it. I made it a personal rule that when it comes to interest on money that it would be something I would get, not pay. We use credit cards for just about every purchase but pay them off in full each month. Did all out houses with savings and out of pocket expenses and a lot of sweat equity. Get rid of the thought that you have to buy a new truck or car every two years. Drive them longer while saving some money esp. for purchasing a new one when the time comes. If you plan you finances and work your plan you will have a very comfortable retirement but if you spend your money on impulse and a bunch ******** for you kids that they generally don't appreciate you will wind up living on Social Security (if it still around)

get r
Old 10-03-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
Getting investment advice here is comparable to looking for gun advice on an investment forum, lol.
While that is a very solid argument, I would counter with:

There are a lot of guys here with firearm collections that are valued in the high 6 figures. Anyone that can afford $500,000 in guns is probably not the worst person from whom to take advice
Old 10-03-2014, 01:25 PM

Old 10-03-2014, 02:34 PM

Good advice from folks here.

The sum of my Dad's financial advice to me was this simple ... "Live beneath your means"

Worked for him, working for me.
May it rest in peace.