Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2019, 07:05 PM

Default Service Rifle-suggestions for pairing fixed stock/optics

Happy Friday everyone!

I have been shooting CMP Games Matches for the past few years, and I am interested in getting into the Service Rifle/Highpower game this year.

I live in NY. Without going into details, I am able to only have the AR lower receiver I currently have, unless I choose to construct another one using the Thordsen stock or similar design such that the stock doesn't have a pistol grip, which I'm not inclined to do. The lower I have has a rifle length buffer tube and a A2 stock.

Until now, I've used this lower and a WW A4 govt profile upper to shoot in the Modern Military Match.

I recently acquired a NM upper A4 with NM carry handle, and while I will likely shoot irons this year, eventually I expect to move toward optics.

As noted in other threads, collapsible stocks are of great benefit to Service Rifle shooters using optics because of the ability to maintain the necessary eye relief in all firing positions. Unfortunately, NY does not allow collapsible stocks.

With the A2 stock, I normally shoot nose to charging handle from the prone position, and with the nose about 1 1/2" off the charging handle from the offhand position.

So, based on the facts above, I am seeking recommendations for a fixed length stock that is legal for service rifle competition that fits a rifle length buffer tube, and a Service Rifle legal optic and mount that is suitable for using with the stock.

If the answer is that such a combination doesn't exist because of eye relief issues, etc., then I guess I can shoot irons with a A2 stock, like all Service Rifle competitors using the AR platform had to do up until a few years ago.

If the answer is that I should consider a fixed length stock using a shorter buffer tube, I'd appreciate that feedback as well. I'd prefer to keep the rifle length buffer tube since my upper is set up that way, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Last edited by GarandThumb21; 02-17-2019 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:46 PM

Magpul UBR
Distinguished Rifleman #2297
Old 02-15-2019, 09:32 PM

UBR is a collapsible stock so that won't help me. I need a fixed length stock.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarandThumb21 View Post
UBR is a collapsible stock so that won't help me. I need a fixed length stock.
Is this a law of NY or another reason?
Distinguished Rifleman #2297
Old 02-15-2019, 11:33 PM

Use the lower you have, buy a 4 power scope and cantilever mount. What's the problem?? Good Shooting. ...
Old 02-15-2019, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
Use the lower you have, buy a 4 power scope and cantilever mount. What's the problem?? Good Shooting. ...
He explains the issue in the narrative.....
Old 02-16-2019, 01:20 AM

http://http://www.thenewrifleman.com...p-for-your-a2/

If you can't blade enough while standing, just embrace the smaller FOV. Use the vignette as an eye alignment check. If that still bugs you too much, and you have a 1-4x and the reticle allows, back off to 1x to increase the exit pupil and FOV.
Distinguished Rifleman #2223
"Technique isn't something that can be taught. It's something you find on your own." - Bunta Fujiwara

Last edited by HighpowerRifleBrony; 02-16-2019 at 01:24 AM.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:33 AM

A1 stock uses the rifle length tube. It/s shorter by the amount of the a2 spacer omitted in the install. You will need a shorter upper screw and a different screw for the lower sling attachment.
Mike
Old 02-16-2019, 11:19 PM

Don't over complicate this.

Use the A2 stock you have now.

Get one of these mounts

and one of these scopes.

Recognize that when you go from irons to scope it will be necessary to adjust your position a bit. Learning to use the scope is part of the game.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:46 AM

Thanks for the feedback so far. I like what I've read so far about the Leupold Mark AR scope.