Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaTango View Post
Iím building up an 03A3 drill in 35 Whelen, it would be nice to have a Garand to match. It should just be a barrel swap, I would think. I have to say, itís my caliber of choice for hunting in North America. Iíve taken deer, bear, moose, and caribou with it. Iíve somehow skipped taking an elk.
.35 Whelen....Tim Shufflin "Fixed Enbloc"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ1WtDghxbg
Old 12-14-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordmm View Post

Yes, with many of these proposed calibers a scope mount would be very beneficial. The "fixed clip" modification to the rifle is simple, and is not permanent, but I'd like to find a way to have it load via stripper clips to make it more ergonomic

I'm also working on a long-action magazine based on an odd-ball 30-06 mag that's already in production. It comes in 10 and 20 round capacities. But that will require BM59-level modifications to the receiver. Hopefully I'll be able to offer that eventually as well though.

Steve
Old 12-14-2018, 08:38 PM

I have two Garands in .270 Win. They shoot great and less recoil.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s11033 View Post

I'm also working on a long-action magazine based on an odd-ball 30-06 mag that's already in production. It comes in 10 and 20 round capacities. But that will require BM59-level modifications to the receiver. Hopefully I'll be able to offer that eventually as well though.

Steve
If you are referring to the M76 mag in 30-06 on the surface it looks promising but have one mocked up in a receiver and think you will find it offer a number of challenges.

It most probably will work but the mags are pricey and long term availability is uncertain. Also the cartridge OAL needs to be considered. Front and rear mag catch adds to the fun.

But have to admit the lure of a 30-06 mag fed Garand can draw you down a rabbit hole but it sure is way easier to do it in .308.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:

I use a Holdbrook Device in the field - would work with a center-line scope as well.

GR

- Marine Major General William H. Rupertus - The Rifleman's Creed
Old 12-15-2018, 06:57 PM

Some years ago I was seriously thinking of a Garand with a non-military spec cartridge. Something in 6.5mm or so, to get it closer to the original .276 design. Ten round enblocs and lighter recoil sounded great!

But life has a bad habit of throwing curves at you so all I could do was get a service grade. Which I then had to sell cause I needed the funds.

Last edited by tankerG; 12-15-2018 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:30 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by s11033 View Post
7x57 is of interest to me personally because I am originally from Spain. I'll give it a look as well, but I'll need to make sure the case taper won't cause issues.

Yep, and the long action length would allow bullets to be seated to a COAL much longer than the standard 2.8".

I meant *7-08 Rem* because I expect that 270 Win would be a barrel burner in a semi-auto. Also, I think many people want milder-shooting calibers. But it's definitely doable if people are interested.

Steve

*EDIT* I accidentally wrote 270 Rem instead of 7-08 Rem.
Why would you think a 270 would be more of a barrel burner than a 30-06? Or any applicable long action caliber? Then you have the possible short action calibers. They say 6.5 Creed and 260 Remington can be hard on barrels but I doubt that would be much of the case when loaded with Garand specific loads and powders. Which, BTW would be quite different from the barrel burning loads listed in most data streams. A good intermediate short action caliber would be 7mm-08. That would probably be one of my top choices if going with something more "exotic".
Old 12-16-2018, 05:21 PM

I carry a Garand on my property, loaded in both hands ready to shoot, due to sudden close-in charges from large dangerous animals. For that reason, a 338-06 or 35 Whelan sounds interesting. Mine is loaded with 180gr softpoints and powder to work with the rifle's gas system. I like having 8 potent rounds in an accurate, quick-shooting rifle.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garandimal View Post
I use a Holdbrook Device in the field - would work with a center-line scope as well.

GR
Whatever happened to John? I used to see postings from him in Garand/1911 forums.

Danny
Springfield Armory 5,940,259, 5,840,184, 4,238,435 and 2,023,912.
Harrington & Richardson 5,549,399.

M1s and M14s do not have Gas Tubes.

"REPO" M1 Parts: The parts you buy that they come to take back later on.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
If you are referring to the M76 mag in 30-06 on the surface it looks promising but have one mocked up in a receiver and think you will find it offer a number of challenges.

It most probably will work but the mags are pricey and long term availability is uncertain. Also the cartridge OAL needs to be considered. Front and rear mag catch adds to the fun.

But have to admit the lure of a 30-06 mag fed Garand can draw you down a rabbit hole but it sure is way easier to do it in .308.
I'm planning to use the magazine bodies without the front or rear engagement points. They would insert straight in using the receiver legs to guide a pair of blocks on the sides of the magazine body. It would be retained by a modified clip latch, and possibly drop free when released. A US manufacturer that makes these magazines is working with me on the design. I was going to buy a magazine from him for testing, but I'm hoping I can just have a stripped mag body instead so I don't have to worry about possibly damaging something while removing the contact points.

I've seen his 20 rd mags for under $35. But yes, this is the kind of setup where it would be best to buy a few up front and not have to worry about them not being around down the road.

I like exploring rabbit holes. Maybe nothing will come of it, but maybe we'll be able to make something that isn't already being done. I don't think I personally would pursue a mag-fed Garand derivative in .308, because there's no point in competing with JRA's BM-59s, Tim Shufflin's 59s and BM-14s, and even run-of-the-mill M1As. I'll make a separate post for this once I get further along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garandimal View Post

GR
Yeah, I think a Holbrook Device will be the best option for the 6.5x55 conversions that a good number of people have expressed interest for in another post. I've contacted a couple machine shops about making them for me. Hopefully I'll have something more concrete soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankerG View Post
Some years ago I was seriously thinking of a Garand with a non-military spec cartridge. Something in 6.5mm or so, to get it closer to the original .276 design. Ten round enblocs and lighter recoil sounded great!

But life has a bad habit of throwing curves at you so all I could do was get a service grade. Which I then had to sell cause I needed the funds.
Hopefully you'll be able to get back in the game soon, and I'll have barrels to offer you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
Why would you think a 270 would be more of a barrel burner than a 30-06? Or any applicable long action caliber? Then you have the possible short action calibers. They say 6.5 Creed and 260 Remington can be hard on barrels but I doubt that would be much of the case when loaded with Garand specific loads and powders. Which, BTW would be quite different from the barrel burning loads listed in most data streams. A good intermediate short action caliber would be 7mm-08. That would probably be one of my top choices if going with something more "exotic".
My experience has been that if you keep powder capacity of the case equal but reduce the bore diameter, the caliber is harder on the throat of the barrel. My understanding is that the 270 is just a necked down 30-06, so it's more "overbore". I personally have never loaded or even fired the 270, but was under the impression that most modern loads are fairly hot. I may be totally mistaken.

The 6.5 Creed and 260 Rem can be hard on throats when they're loaded to max pressures. I agree that it would be much less of an issue using more Garand-friendly loads. I guess the same would apply to long-action calibers though, so thanks for pointing that out. I was assuming that people want to be able to shoot commercial loads, and I also was under the impression that the modern long-action calibers are loaded hotter than the short-action ones.

I agree that 7mm-08 would be one of the most interesting options. It would be even better if it were throated a bit long to seat bullets a little further out and get some more powder in the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Not You View Post
I carry a Garand on my property, loaded in both hands ready to shoot, due to sudden close-in charges from large dangerous animals. For that reason, a 338-06 or 35 Whelan sounds interesting. Mine is loaded with 180gr softpoints and powder to work with the rifle's gas system. I like having 8 potent rounds in an accurate, quick-shooting rifle.
35 Whelen seems to draw more interest than I expected. If we can get 10 people to commit I can do a run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Whatever happened to John? I used to see postings from him in Garand/1911 forums.

Danny
Do you have contact info for him? I've reached out to a couple shops about making Holbrook devices for me from GI op rod catches, but I'd love to check with him if he's still around.

Last edited by s11033; 12-17-2018 at 09:48 PM.

Tags
alternate, barrels, caliber, conversions, garand