Go Back   CMP Forums > Regional Matches and Events > Great Lakes > Michigan
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2010, 11:59 PM

Default 11th Annual SMGC CMP M1 for Vets Snow Shoot

SOUTHERN MICHIGAN GUN CLUB

SW corner of VanKal and KL Avenue, Mattawan MI

Date: Saturday, January 29, 2011

Time: Registration begins at 9:00am at the upper range house.

Event: 11th Annual SMGC M1 for Vets "SNOW SHOOT", Sanctioned John C. Garand, Springfield and Vintage Military Rifle Match. Proceeds from this event benefit the M1 for Vets Program. There will also be a non-sanctioned Pistol match run concurrently with the rifle match.

The rifle event will be run as a course "A" or 35 round match. Due to the number of competitors, only one rifle per shooter will permitted. All stages of fire will be conducted on our 100 yard walk-up range using the SR-1 target.

The pistol event will be run as a 25 yard, 35 round match using the SR-1 target on the adjacent 50 yard range.

CMP 14th Edition rules will govern the match and awardment of pins. Trophies will be awarded to the overall high shooter, second place and third place shooter, high lady shooter, high junior shooter and best period costume. Awards for the pistol event will be 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Any .30 cal. U.S. rifle of WWII vintage; any WWII Axis or Allied or Korean Era, bolt action rifle. All rifles must be “as issued” with no national match parts or modifications. "Other rifles" (any safe semi-auto, i.e. AR15, M1A, etc. rifle capable of holding five rounds) are permitted but are not elligible for awards.

Any safe semi-auto pistol or revolver with a minimum capacity of five rounds. They do not need to be military issue or military clone. However, All pistols must have open sights. Any safe pistol ammunition is permitted and SMGC does not sell pistol ammo.

Uniforms appropriate to your firearms are encouraged but are not required. M1Garand rifles and carbines are available for those who need one. .30-06 and .30 carbine ammunition is available for purchase as well.

Fees: Rifle Match Fee is $20.00, Pistol Match Fee is $10.00, 40 rounds of .30-06 is $20.00 and 50 rounds of .30 Carbine is $20.00

Safety being a primary concern requires all shooters and guests present on the firing line to wear eye and ear protection. SMGC generally has ear plugs for those that require them.

Squadding and relay assignments will be conducted immediately following registration. Left handed shooters and those requiring assistance are encouraged to notify the personnel at registration so arrangement can be made. Likewise, those individuals needing to borrow or are sharing equipment, please notify registration personnel.

Hot chow and a warming area will be provided at the upper range house during and after the event. Awards will be presented at the upper range house immediately after the event, as well as photographs taken of the winners.

This year two M1 for Vets recipients will be awarded rifles. Presentations will be conducted by two honored guests, yes Swede, that means you and Michigan State Senator Tonya Schuitmaker. The CMP staff has been invited; waiting for a response. This event is not to be missed.

SMGC members and guests that have not completed a CMP Eligibility Affidavit and Liability Agreement or Junior Liability Release Form must do so. Electronic copies, as well as match rules, course(s) of fire and award schedule can be obtained by e-mailing dgrecon2@yahoo.com. in addition, question or directions to the range can also be obtained by e-mailing me at the above address.

Thank you and hope to see you there.

David

Last edited by dgrecon; 12-15-2010 at 10:26 PM. Reason: no auto firing
Old 01-11-2011, 03:11 PM

We would love to bring some guys to support the cause...but 3.5 hours one way to shoot one relay? Have a great match.

Northland Sportsmen's Club, 2018 President
CMP Match Chairman
NRA Highpower Rifle Chairman
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Chief Range Officer
Old 01-12-2011, 01:18 PM

Default So sad

Don't forget the pistol event. BTW, 50+ competitors and over half wanting to shoot more than one relay... We don't have lights, pitts or the ability to shoot more relays on Sunday.

Thanks for your negativity.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrecon View Post
Don't forget the pistol event. BTW, 50+ competitors and over half wanting to shoot more than one relay... We don't have lights, pitts or the ability to shoot more relays on Sunday.

Thanks for your negativity.
No Negativity intended..Just the opposite . Just a very long trip for 30 rounds. We wish you the best of success as we are all working for the same cause. Fifty shooters is most impressive. I stand corrected and understand your need to hold it to one gun per shooter. Nobody is a bigger supporter of the shooting sports, specifically M1 for Vets, than I.

Northland Sportsmen's Club, 2018 President
CMP Match Chairman
NRA Highpower Rifle Chairman
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Chief Range Officer

Last edited by GarandGrabber; 01-12-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:35 PM

David, if I may, I don't think GarandGrabber meant any negativity. The bane of the written word is that a lot of times it takes out the emotion of the spoken word, i.e., everything seems cold and hard. He was just stating, to let everyone know, that the drive just didn't work for him and his crew for one match. No worries. It's all good. Heck I wish I could get up there (Gaylord) for all their matches, yet for me it's just too far. We all do the best we can. I will be down there to see you all and help raise funds for one of the best causes that I know, work permitting of course! You and Glenn do a spectacular job and my hat's off to you both! Take care my friend.

Art

Last edited by t.c.a.f; 01-12-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:04 AM

Default Sorry

I realize that we are all working for the same cause. I apologize. We (SMGC) work very hard to accomodate all. I took the comment as a "shot across the bow," so to speak. I know it's a long way to drive. I wish I could make it up to their facility to shoot... and they allow multiple guns.

I wish we could shoot more than one gun but, as you know, with 50+ shooters we press hard to finish by 4:00PM and that is without breaking for lunch and holding a concurrent pistol event. Like I said, if we had pits, lights or the ability to continue firing the next day... who knows what we could do.

I guess I get a little touchy when it comes down to reasons why someone doesn't want to come to our match. Believe me, I understand the distance factor. Everyone who knows me personnaly knows the situation (wife) with me trying to get to "other" events. I guess I would prefer no comment to one that can be taken "out of context."

Thank you for setting me straight.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:06 AM

Hey we're all just human, 'nough said. And I completely understand trying to get to other events. You and I happen to be in the same "boat" so to speak. As it stands now, it looks like I'll be there, with my "every other weekend" work sched. Really looking forward to it and I'm gonna try and drag a few others from MPRC with me if I can pull them off the ski hill. If you need any help with anything, please don't hesitate to ask, I'm always ready to volunteer, but you guys know that.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:03 PM

We can only shoot once now--if everybody comes, we'll need a lottery to see if we get to shoot. You guys in Gaylord, stay home. Could we have the course of fire for the pistol match?? Need to practice after the pistol guys humiliated me last year. Good Shooting.....
Old 01-17-2011, 08:46 AM

Default Pistol Match COF

5 rounds (sighters), 3 minutes, Slow fire
10 rounds (scoring), 5 minutes, Slow fire 5 + 5
10 rounds (scoring), 20 seconds, Timed fire 5 + 5
10 rounds (scoring), 10 seconds, Rapid fire 5 + 5

All firing at 25 yards on the SR-1 target.
Both timed and rapid fire are; shoot five in the alloted time, cease fire, reload 5 and commence firing on command in the alloted time.
Slow fire reload is to be at shooters discretion.
Spotting Scopes are allowed and shooters may elect to shoot one or two handed.
No optics on the firearm, iron sights only.
Any safe pistol of any safe caliber. Any safe ammo - must be provided by the shooter, SMGC will not have any pistol ammo avialable.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:58 PM

Great day guys (David, Glenn et all)! Thanks a ton for all your hardwork. Can't think of a better way to spend a somewhat cold and snowy Sat. afternoon then putting rounds downrange for a fantastic cause. Take care and hope to see y'all next month.

Art