Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2011, 11:54 AM

Default Advice on a NS trip

Hi there everyone....

I'm trying to convince a friend of mine to make a trip with me from nj to the NS....

Having never been there can you lend some advice as to policies procedures at the store.....?

Is it just walk in drool and shop

I know just enough about m1's to get by and know that I can see this being a new obsession.... Are there folks there to help out if you have questions etc.....

Again any info and advice is appreciated!!!

Thanks ! NickJC Glenwood, NJ
9-11-01 - In memory of Mom, Loli, Gerry, Donald & Vinny...

Last edited by Nickjc; 03-24-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:01 PM

as long as you have your paperwork in order..you're good to go...the guys behind the counter will asnwer any questions you have about the rifles and help in any way they can...90% of the customers shopping with you will do the same...bring lots of $$$$
Old 03-24-2011, 12:15 PM

Regarding policies, also remember you can't carry a firearm. Just FYI.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:00 PM

Pick up every rifle in the place. You can open the bolt, turn the sights, measure the muzzle and throat, look down the barrel, and take pictures. But you can't take it apart. If you want to see what is internal to the rifle, take it to the counter and let them take out the trigger assembly and stock. Swapping of parts is prohibited so if you are caught taking apart a rifle while browsing, they assume you are trying to swap parts and that will get you kicked out permanently.

Otherwise, look them all over, compare rifles, and have fun. If you see a rifle you think you might purchase, take it to the counter and have them put your name on it (via a red tag). Then go back and look some more. You can put a rifle back if you decide you don't want it.

If you don't see something, ask the people behind the counter if they have that item. Sometimes items like the receivers are not sitting on the counter. This would include some bayonets, cleaning rods, carbine mags, receivers, ammo, etc.

I encourage you to bring a camera. Take a picture of everything. Some day this will all be gone and you will be saying, 'remember when ...'.

You can borrow a muzzle gauge from the people at the counter. Use it to find the best barrels. Ask people in the store for their opinion. Tell them you are new. Talk to the other customers. Ask them what they are looking for. Tell them what you are looking for.

When you pick up a Garand, look at the muzzle, measure the muzzle, look at the stock checking for cartouches and type of wood, look for cracks or repairs to the wood, check out the serial number, bolt, barrel manufacturer and year, look for the markings on the left and right rear sight, check the trigger guard, look at the gas plug and cylinder. Basically, check out the entire rifle, observing the differences between rifles. Get to know your serial numbers, looking for unique or rare numbers.

When you get home, post a report hopefully with pictures.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:59 PM

Thanks for all the info....

Is it hit or miss what they have available at any time or do they try to keep a good inventory of each type?

I am probably looking for a HRA Service Grade.......... I plan on shooting the rifle for informal target practice.....I wouldn't mind trying to do a match one day but that is waaay off....

I really wish I could find one with 911 consecutively in the serial.....
Old 03-25-2011, 06:08 AM

Nick. The inventory can be hit or miss but it seems to be very good right now. There is a very nice supply of HRA SG rifles but many have the birch replacement stock with that orangish stain. The stock may not be very attractive but it fits well and the rest of the rifle seems to be in excellent order. I was there in January and there were very nice rifles to be had. The reports on this forum have been encouraging. The CMP has been marking the tags (on the rifles) with the muzzle wear reading and throat errosion reading. Try to get a MW of 1 or less and a TE of 2 or less. Good luck. And don't shy away from shooting matches. The "big" Garand Match is a few hundred yards away from where you will buy your M1 and is shot in early August. Once you go you will want to go again, honest.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:44 PM

Study this forum as much as you can before you go, and make sure your paper work is 100% in order-they make NO exceptions. If possible, be there before they open-good stuff gets snapped up real quickly!

Charlie
Old 03-25-2011, 04:05 PM

Also look at the shavetail report on the NS for this week. I was also up there yesterday and there weren't a whole lot of the dreaded orange stocks. Check his photos. The racks are pretty full and there's a lot of nice stuff there. One of the advantages of going one thurs or Friday--- you can get the current poop on what's there and what isn't. No mention or photos of the Krags, btw, but they were really on the miserable side of life (I'll admit up front I don't know Krags all that well). It'll be a fun trip... go a bit further over the Indiana frontier and see the Dusenburg/Cord museum... the Studebaker museum is a little further. Lots to see and do out this way. Make an excursion of it. The North Store is a "hands on" museum in its own right. Plenty of M1C's and D's. Expensive and been rebuilt... but then again they have great bores, are tight, and they're military guns, no ifs, or buts about it. No goobering in them at all (bubba-ing?). The real deal. other odds and ends there, too. Treat yourself to a road trip. Bring an air gun, show up on Tuesday or Thursday eve and shoot at an inter-galactic class air gun range on post. I could go on...
Old 03-27-2011, 09:36 AM

LOL thanks allot for all the great info.....it is VERY appreciated...I saw the latest report...two guys from my end are driving out next weekend....i cant make it....

I REALLY REALLY want one of the SG Specials that is there...prolly gone by now....had a serial that *I* would want for obvious reasons...im going to call them tomorrow to see if it is there and if I can 'request' it....can that even be done??

Trying to put a trip together in may.....what do you think is the best day to go....i.e. best chance of seeing some good stuff....??

I plan on bringing cash but will have a plastic backup...I see from reading here that damage can be done very quickly.....

its all good....it not like there making them ever again....!
Old 03-27-2011, 12:04 PM

Are you going to overnite or out and back nonstop?
I use the PA Turnpike all the way to Ohio Turnpike. I make it in 7.5 hours from Reading, PA.
Fill your paperwork out in advance an you will save time.
As was said, no one day is better then another. I go on Fridays.
You'll find plenty of help there. If looking for something in particular, ask at the counter; odds are they can point you right to it. Grab ammo if you can.
If you make multiple purchases, it will be cheaper to ship them home then pay the Ohio tax(8%?). Example:
Service grade - $595 and $47.60 tax
Service grade - $595 and $22.95 shipping plus the nice CMP hardcase.
Good hunting.