Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2019, 01:33 PM

Default Greek HXP in enblocs and corrosive question...

A local gun shop has two unopened spam cans of what appears to be Greek HXP, and is painted with 8 round clips on the side. I had not fully informed myself on exactly what to look for at that moment, so I asked the gent at the counter and he mentioned that he thought it might be "South Korean". I went for a second look, and saw in pretty small raised stamped into the metal lettering -- HXP. Was $170- ish, if I remember correctly, for one can.

I posted about a new-to-me "Modified" Remington '42 dated 1903 I plan to start shooting pleanty, over in the the "bolt action" section. So the question is:

Is the Greek HXP corrosive or not? I have seen conflicting info about it. I understand it may also be a question of lot numbers perhaps too. Just figured I'd come here to the Holy Grail to figure it out.

Thanks for any advise and help in advance. A BIG thank you to Rick The Librarian too for answering questions before I was able to get squared away and able to post here. Thanks CMP for doing what you do for all of us, and Semper FI!

Carl, USMC, Ret'd
Old 03-25-2019, 03:33 PM

Default GM1MAN thanks for the scoop!

Great info thanks! I will certainly keep your info in mind next time I go to my shop. I figure if I grab it of course I can break it down and keep the clips for later. Haha -- like I wrote to Mr. Beard -- this rifle has my motor revving like a NASCAR with a brick on the gas pedal! Carl, USMC, Ret'd
Old 03-25-2019, 03:39 PM

The HXP cans should look like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=hxp+...w=1920&bih=935
Old 03-25-2019, 03:55 PM

Default Yes, thats the same Greek spam can animal...

Gewehr43, thank you for the quick response and pics! Yep, the spam can with the opener on top is what I remember, and the two cans were still sealed. I wasn't as informed as I wanted to be at the time, and didn't even know they had the ammo because it was sorta tucked away on the side. My wheels were revved up over holding my new purchase ('42 dated Remington 1903, rebuild) like a kid at Christmas. I'll get a chance to go next Monday, and check it out again. Have a great day! Carl, USMC, Ret'd.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:42 PM

Retired Devil Dog if the cans are dated 1973 or earlier there's a decent chance for USGI clips. I can't remember the lot cut off in 1973 when the switch to European clips came in to play but the information is in the forum.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:54 PM

AFJon, Thank you for taking the time out and educating me with that scoop. I have learned a lot here today for sure. I will get a chance next Monday to get back there and pay more attention to the lot#'s, etc on the spam can. I shoulda took a pic while I was there. Thanks again! Carl

Last edited by Retired Devil Dog; 03-25-2019 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Sorry I was being too redundant!
Old 03-26-2019, 11:26 AM

HXP for certain is non-corrosive all the way back to mid 60's vintage. Wow, that stuff is getting expensive. I have an unopened crate with 2 cans in it I bought for less and another spam can I paid $80 for at the Western games some time ago. $170 is mighty expensive and clipped HXP is often corroded. Buying unopened can be risky. The 67 I was issued in 2007 was in pretty bad shape. Enough so I had to return and exchange bandos and refused to shoot the original issued stuff. There's much better commercial stuff with no risk around for about the same price or even less. HXP is nothing special and not at all collectable.

Last edited by lapriester; 03-26-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
HXP for certain is non-corrosive all the way back to mid 60's vintage. Wow, that stuff is getting expensive. I have an unopened crate with 2 cans in it I bought for less and another spam can I paid $80 for at the Western games some time ago. $170 is mighty expensive and clipped HXP is often corroded. Buying unopened can be risky. The 67 I was issued in 2007 was in pretty bad shape. Enough so I had to return and exchange bandos and refused to shoot the original issued stuff. There's much better commercial stuff with no risk around for about the same price or even less. HXP is nothing special and not at all collectable.
You must have had some pretty bad luck with your cans, and I've never heard anyone say HXP clipped spam cans are "often corroded"! I've personally opened and shot many, as in dozens of clipped spam cans from the CMP since 2009 and never had one with a compromised interior or ammo. It all looked as newly made and fired perfectly for M2 Ball, and while not match ammo, is quite capable of medaling in CMP/GSVMM Matches at 200 yards.
The enblocs and bandos are desirable to some folks who collect and reuse them, and the thick once fired brass is more desirable than thin commercial cases to reloaders.
$170-$180 is the going rate for the dwindling supply of remaining spam cans
My first CMP spam cans of 192 rnds of clipped HXP in 2009 cost $60 ea. Then the price just kept going up each year or 2. The last spam cans I bought from the CMP was durring a limited supply release just a few years ago for some 240 round clipped cans that cost $200 ea. iirc, and they are 1962 vintage. I'd never seen the 240 round clipped HXP cans so had to buy a couple, and understood the price is what today's market will bare. And those cans were sold out in a couple of days

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor
Old 03-26-2019, 02:39 PM

Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman View Post
You must have had some pretty bad luck with your cans, and I've never heard anyone say HXP clipped spam cans are "often corroded"! I've personally opened and shot many, as in dozens of clipped spam cans from the CMP since 2009 and never had one with a compromised interior or ammo. It all looked as newly made and fired perfectly for M2 Ball, and while not match ammo, is quite capable of medaling in CMP/GSVMM Matches at 200 yards.
The enblocs and bandos are desirable to some folks who collect and reuse them, and the thick once fired brass is more desirable than thin commercial cases to reloaders.
$170-$180 is the going rate for the dwindling supply of remaining spam cans
My first CMP spam cans of 192 rnds of clipped HXP in 2009 cost $60 ea. Then the price just kept going up each year or 2. The last spam cans I bought from the CMP was durring a limited supply release just a few years ago for some 240 round clipped cans that cost $200 ea. iirc, and they are 1962 vintage. I'd never seen the 240 round clipped HXP cans so had to buy a couple, and understood the price is what today's market will bare. And those cans were sold out in a couple of days
I totally agree with these statements ^^^^^
Old 03-26-2019, 04:46 PM

I've seen HXP spams of boxed ammo with corrosion due to the box glue but never in a spam of bandos.