Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2020, 05:35 PM

Default Field grade USMC rebuild.

Thank you everyone at the CMP, CMP 1911 program.

This is my CMP 1911 Field grade. I don't really know much about them.. Frame is Ithaca and the slide is Colt.
I did ask for a Ithaca and a USMC rebuild if its possible... She said its pure luck of the draw... I'm a third generation Marine.. my Grandfather, Dad, Uncle, my 2 older brothers are Marines. Again a huge thank you to everyone at the CMP!!!

I'm going to pass this down to my 2 year old son when it's his time...

http://imgur.com/a/nChHtSQ
Old 11-19-2020, 05:40 PM

Someone was looking after you....
Very cool
Old 11-19-2020, 05:51 PM

Congratulations Justin on the USMC Barstow rebuild...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinandKim View Post
Thank you everyone at the CMP, CMP 1911 program.

This is my CMP 1911 Field grade. I don't really know much about them.. Frame is Ithaca and the slide is Colt.
I did ask for a Ithaca and a USMC rebuild if its possible... She said its pure luck of the draw... I'm a third generation Marine.. my Grandfather, Dad, Uncle, my 2 older brothers are Marines. Again a huge thank you to everyone at the CMP!!!

I'm going to pass this down to my 2 year old son when it's his time...

http://imgur.com/a/nChHtSQ
Old 11-19-2020, 09:50 PM

Congrats Justin, I requested a USMC rebuild too but wound up with an ANAD 12/80 rebuild instead. Maybe my wife will get a USMC rebuild when she gets her call. She is just 801 away from the highest called and reported here.

GuapoPogi
Old 11-19-2020, 10:09 PM

Doug,

I just asked if I could get a USMC rebuild or an Ithaca.. she literally told me they just randomly pick one out of a whichever box you ordered from. I do not know or speculate if she wrote down what I asked for not... but they are know for the great customer service going above and beyond.
I'm for grateful for the CMP program. I would also loved to have an Anniston rebuild.. I could tell my son that it came and was rebuilt down the road and drive by it..
Old 11-19-2020, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinandKim View Post
Doug,

I just asked if I could get a USMC rebuild or an Ithaca.. she literally told me they just randomly pick one out of a whichever box you ordered from. I do not know or speculate if she wrote down what I asked for not... but they are know for the great customer service going above and beyond.
I'm for grateful for the CMP program. I would also loved to have an Anniston rebuild.. I could tell my son that it came and was rebuilt down the road and drive by it..
I choose to believe that there were no USMC Service Grades available when I got my call. When she gets her call, my wife is going to ask for a Rack Grade and special request a serial number under 600,000 hoping for a 1911 as opposed to a 1911A1. I doubt she will get a 1911 but who knows, about 25% of total production was 1911. Even if she gets a 1911 that was updated with A1 parts, we can always track down parts to restore it.

A USMC 1911 would go great with my 2 USMC Garands and the USMC 1903 I am buying. But whatever she gets I am sure our son will appreciate it when he inherits it.

GuapoPogi
Old 11-19-2020, 11:41 PM

Congratulations on your USMC rebuilt pistol. Great piece of history for you and your family.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:50 AM

I love the yellow numbers on the grips of some of these guns.
Old 11-20-2020, 12:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuapoPogi View Post
Congrats Justin, I requested a USMC rebuild too but wound up with an ANAD 12/80 rebuild instead. Maybe my wife will get a USMC rebuild when she gets her call. She is just 801 away from the highest called and reported here.

GuapoPogi
One thing to consider when making a request for a USMC rebuild is, does the person making the selection know what a USMC rebuild is and how it's marked?
You might want to give them some help with your request that you would like one with etchings that relate to a USMC rebuild. Not everyone at CMP 1911 may be as knowledgeable as we are on these pistols and can't assume.

This has been mentioned before with "stickies" attached to Garand orders requesting a WWII rifle. Again, the person making the selection may not be schooled on WWII rifle serial numbers. So if the "stickies" had a serial number range for them to search, it would make the request much easier and more likely to happen...if available with what they have available.

Just a thought....
Old 11-20-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
One thing to consider when making a request for a USMC rebuild is, does the person making the selection know what a USMC rebuild is and how it's marked?
You might want to give them some help with your request that you would like one with etchings that relate to a USMC rebuild. Not everyone at CMP 1911 may be as knowledgeable as we are on these pistols and can't assume.

This has been mentioned before with "stickies" attached to Garand orders requesting a WWII rifle. Again, the person making the selection may not be schooled on WWII rifle serial numbers. So if the "stickies" had a serial number range for them to search, it would make the request much easier and more likely to happen...if available with what they have available.

Just a thought....
This does sense too, although I also still think that there are going to be a lot more non USMC rebuilds than USMC rebuilds. Odds are that even if the pickers knew a USMC rebuild, there were none available to pick for me when it was my turn.

Still Iím happy to have a WWII Colt that came from the CMP even if it isnít a USMC rebuild.

GuapoPogi