Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2019, 09:32 AM

Hi Fellows,

Apparently there is no problem with case (now neck) walls getting too thick. The lower down the case wall you go the thicker the wall is.

My pal had to buy a reamer to thin the neck thickness on some rifle cases he reformed for another case size. I recall he tried the first finished bullet & jammed it into the chamber . Think it was .010 or .015 oversize, he never thought to check it. Amazing how fast he took 50 rounds apart!

Take care,
broom
Old 11-12-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomhandle View Post
Hi Fellows,

Apparently there is no problem with case (now neck) walls getting too thick. The lower down the case wall you go the thicker the wall is.

My pal had to buy a reamer to thin the neck thickness on some rifle cases he reformed for another case size. I recall he tried the first finished bullet & jammed it into the chamber . Think it was .010 or .015 oversize, he never thought to check it. Amazing how fast he took 50 rounds apart!

Take care,
broom
I forgot to add that I touch up the necks with a rcbs neck turning tool. I set it to cut to the thinnest part.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:52 PM

I converted 5 pieces of once fired LC brass to 8x57mm the other day just for kicks. Annealed before I formed. Ran it through the FL sizer a few times before and after trimming. I have no way to fire form so I will just shoot my normal load through them and see what happens. Not expecting much aside from usual results. I did notice that using too much lube can put a little dent in the necks however, but I expect that to fire form out just like it would any other piece of brass.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92trk View Post
.... I did notice that using too much lube can put a little dent in the necks however, but I expect that to fire form out just like it would any other piece of brass.
Using too much case lubricant will cause these dents. Less is best, but it should not affect the operation of the cartridge, and will form out when fired in the rifle.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92trk
I have no way to fire form
You lost me there. If you have a gun chambered for 857, you have the fire-forming tool. Take a look at the difference between a standard cartridge and its Ackley Improved ("AI" before artificial intelligence was even a gleam in its creator's eye) version. All the AI's have you fireform the case simply by firing the normally-loaded parent cartridge in their chambers (i.e., fire a 30-06 in a 30-06 AI chamber, a 22-250 in a 22-250 AI chamber, etc.). This will give you some idea of how far you can fire-form something with a normal load without adjustment. (Indeed, anyone who has witnessed a 308 Winchester round accidentally chambered and fired in a 30-06 rifle can tell you fire-forming could go rather further. That particular event doesn't have to produce a sharp shoulder anywhere, though; it just blows out the 308 to a kind of open-tip round nose case.)

Gunsite Orange Hat Family Member
CMP Certified GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Patron Member
ORPA Life Member
Old 11-15-2019, 06:43 PM

Thank you all for your insights. I reformed 150 HXP 70's I had on hand. Cut the excess neck with a tubing cutter,reformed and trimmed to length. I loaded 50 and shot 25 with good results. I plan to anneal after the first firing. Regards,Eddie