Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2021, 12:57 PM

Default Any Interest in Turk 8mm Ammo?

I was going through my stuff the other day and came across 214 rounds of the Turkish 8mm on stripper clips and in cloth bandoliers that I doubt I'll ever use. These have 1949 head stamp. It is my understanding that these are corrosive but otherwise very good rounds, a little on the hot side. I would like to pass them on to someone who can use them. $150 shipped or best offer... also might be interested in trades? I have photos of it to email or text.

Last edited by chuckchili; 01-29-2021 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-29-2021, 03:16 PM

I had some for sale locally along with a Turk Mauser and I didn't have any bites. I was asking $40 for a bandolier of ammo. Don't know if that's high or not in the current market.

Might put it in the Ammunition of the sale part of the forum.
Old 01-29-2021, 03:38 PM

If they're 70 round bandos $40.00 is a decent price. I don't mind shooting corrosive ammo in my mauser as long as it doesn't mis or hang fire. Put it on the sales board , someone will pick it up. Eddie
Old 01-29-2021, 04:39 PM

I wasn’t too sure where to price it, not many examples for sale in the real world. (Don’t consider Gunbroker the real world- folks there are trying to sell this stuff for $2 per round)

I would do $40 per bandolier plus shipping if anyone was interested.
Old 01-29-2021, 04:42 PM

The Turk stuff is hotter in general and thereís a risk of bad primers resulting in dud rounds or hang fires. I donít think the stuff was stored well (unlike the 50ís vintage Yugo which came 900 rounds sealed in a metal tin inside a wooden crate). Below is a link to one article about the stuff showing what a hangfire can do to a 1919 (apparently the shooter pulled the bolt back too soon after the gun stopped). Bolt action (and recoil action if you feel lucky) will be fine with it as long as one doesnít pull the bolt back too soon after a misfire. That ammo is a definite no-no in a gas operated firearm.

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/why...h-8mm-surplus/
Old 01-30-2021, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbo View Post
The Turk stuff is hotter in general and thereís a risk of bad primers resulting in dud rounds or hang fires. I donít think the stuff was stored well (unlike the 50ís vintage Yugo which came 900 rounds sealed in a metal tin inside a wooden crate). Below is a link to one article about the stuff showing what a hangfire can do to a 1919 (apparently the shooter pulled the bolt back too soon after the gun stopped). Bolt action (and recoil action if you feel lucky) will be fine with it as long as one doesnít pull the bolt back too soon after a misfire. That ammo is a definite no-no in a gas operated firearm.

Along these same lines add the Ethiopian 8mm ammo. I'm in the process of knocking down 600 rds. I purchased cheap . Of the first 40 rounds I fired in my Yugo mauser over half were hang or mis-fires. Eddie
Old 01-30-2021, 03:33 PM

Only Turk I've ever had issues with was the 1947 stuff. Lots of split brass even before I fired it. I've had 1939, 1945, 1947 and 1950 and all of it goes bang with no issue. Even the '47 stuff went bang. I pulled the split ones and tossed the brass.
Old 01-30-2021, 07:39 PM

Quote:
The Turk stuff is hotter in general and there’s a risk of bad primers resulting in dud rounds or hang fires. I don’t think the stuff was stored well (unlike the 50’s vintage Yugo which came 900 rounds sealed in a metal tin inside a wooden crate).
I've never had a bad primer or a hangfire with Turk ammo. Only issue I have ever had is split necks, and that has been rare. I've had numerous duds and hangfires with the 50's Yugo, though.

Last edited by jetjockey75; 01-30-2021 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:34 PM

Quote:

It's not hot..it's going what its supposed to be going.

The guy who got hurt was beating a LIVE ROUND out of the chamber with a cleaning rod that was supposedly a "dud".

THAT is stupid....

Its actually fine in gas guns if you put it in new brass FIRST. The real problem is the brass is brittle and is no longer elastic and will fail venting gas into the action. New brass fixes this issue and it's perfectly fine in gas guns after doing this.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/654109364964194/ CMP Travel Games FB Group
Old 02-02-2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy2171 View Post
It's not hot..it's going what its supposed to be going.

The guy who got hurt was beating a LIVE ROUND out of the chamber with a cleaning rod that was supposedly a "dud".

THAT is stupid....

Its actually fine in gas guns if you put it in new brass FIRST. The real problem is the brass is brittle and is no longer elastic and will fail venting gas into the action. New brass fixes this issue and it's perfectly fine in gas guns after doing this.
So the guy was beating a live round out of the chamber with a cleaning rod...itís safe to assume that a minute or two or 5 had passed since the incident, so the round wasnít a hangfire danger. With that safe assumption, what exactly set the round off while he was beating it out of the chamber?

And I agree completely that with new brass and the associated new primers that the refurbished ammo would be fine in gas operated firearms...even better if one takes a little extra time and drops new powder in the cases....