Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2019, 06:17 PM

Default Extra CMP GI replacement slide--what to do?

Long story short, my wife and I were both lucky enough to pull low RGN's and we both received service grades. Mine is an Ithaca with a Numax GI replacement slide and hers was an Ithaca with Remington slide. I managed to find another member who placed a CMP Ithaca slide for sale which I snagged. Now that I have a matching frame and slide, I am considering what to do with the Numax.

I have heard that some of the original 1911A1 slides were soft and spot treated but I have never seen a failure personally. Having said that, I will not likely shoot these two CMP guns that match as I have plenty other more modern 1911's that I shoot and carry. The question is, should I keep this extra slide for shooting on these guns are just part with it?
Old 07-13-2019, 06:44 PM

Well if you decide to sell it let me know. I need a slide for a Colt frame project I have on a the front burner. Would like a GI hard slide for it

Regarding you issue directly, I always reference my great-uncles 1911 made in 1913. Fought against Poncho Villa, WW1, and carried it on the Chicago streets in the 20s. About 0% finish, all original including the springs. Still works and no broke parts. Shoot both your pistols as much as you want and don’t look back.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:52 PM

somebody said early in the year that they were cheap on ebay, however I have never seen them cheap, but never looked for them before recently.
In previous years, I have bought slides (remington rand several times) for around $100-$150 (the 150 included barrel) and sold them for $150-$200

I am unsure what one of the GI replacement slides would go for, I would think they would not have the draw of a 'colt' marked one.

Ed
Old 07-13-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regular guy View Post
I have heard that some of the original 1911A1 slides were soft and spot treated ...
"An interesting thing that went on during the Second War was a lot of 1911's manufactured during the Second World War, because it was a wartime production item,
a lot of the hardening process was left out. The only thing hardened was basically the slide stop. The service life of the gun was 4,000 to 5.000 rounds."

Jerry Miculek

https://youtu.be/xgs3nse8rW0

Last edited by AS11/BM3; 07-13-2019 at 07:44 PM.