Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshro View Post
Was it the Wilson Combat kit?
My first two boxes of ammo - same brand/weight as yours - I had a few rounds do exactly the same thing. Failure to feed during pickup from the magazine.

I was using Wilson Combat mags. Truly pieces of beauty.

The spring felt weak to me, compared to all my other, modern guns. I ordered a Wolff GI replacement spring from Brownells. Haven't shot it yet, but it feels stronger than the one it came with.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:06 AM

Oddly, the few failures to feed I had were with Wilson Combat mags. The usgi mag that came with the gun performed perfectly.

Iíll order a stronger spring and give it a try.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:31 AM

How's the chamber (and rest of bore, for that matter) look,
compared to what's showing, in your pic?
Old 07-17-2019, 08:39 PM

I'm curious, many people here are making suggestions on how to fix this issue, such as replacing springs, etc... It would be interesting to know what actions the buyer might do to void the CMP warranty...
Old 07-17-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shall900 View Post
I'm curious, many people here are making suggestions on how to fix this issue, such as replacing springs, etc... It would be interesting to know what actions the buyer might do to void the CMP warranty...
I will tell you that admin told me to try another magazine (and Iíll probably try different ammo) and if it doesnít work they will send a return label.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:35 AM

We have had people take their pistols, rifles to so called gunsmiths that have ruined firearms trying different things such as: "polishing the feed ramp until it is almost gone" because it was too thick and the bullet was catching on the lip, polishing the locking lugs as the barrel was too tight in the slide and was hard to take out, enlarging the ejection port so the case would not stove pipe, replacing good parts with bad parts, grip bushing came loose so the gunsmith tac welded it so it would not come off (forgot to take magazine out and got that too), straighten the slide stop plunger spring, replace the trigger with a 38 super trigger, polish the slide ramps too much, these are just a few of the things we have seen so far. YES I KNOW THERE ARE SO GREAT 1911 gumsmiths that know more then our whole crew, but for everyone one of those there are 2 that have no clue. Those are just a few of the actions a buyer might do to void the warranty and yes we will know. The list is too long to talk about what "gunsmiths" do to the M1, carbines and 1903 rifles.

Last edited by cmp1911admin; 07-18-2019 at 06:36 AM. Reason: added
Old 07-18-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp1911admin View Post
We have had people take their pistols, rifles to so called gunsmiths that have ruined firearms trying different things such as: "polishing the feed ramp until it is almost gone" because it was too thick and the bullet was catching on the lip, polishing the locking lugs as the barrel was too tight in the slide and was hard to take out, enlarging the ejection port so the case would not stove pipe, replacing good parts with bad parts, grip bushing came loose so the gunsmith tac welded it so it would not come off (forgot to take magazine out and got that too), straighten the slide stop plunger spring, replace the trigger with a 38 super trigger, polish the slide ramps too much, these are just a few of the things we have seen so far. YES I KNOW THERE ARE SO GREAT 1911 gumsmiths that know more then our whole crew, but for everyone one of those there are 2 that have no clue. Those are just a few of the actions a buyer might do to void the warranty and yes we will know. The list is too long to talk about what "gunsmiths" do to the M1, carbines and 1903 rifles.
Which is why I rely on the Custom Shop for my gunsmithing work, helps that I'm only a couple hours drive away
Old 07-19-2019, 11:11 AM

I don't like the term "gunsmith"..... sounds like someone Elmer Fudd would bring his double shotgun too in looney toons...... I feel like every man should aspire to learn basic armorer skills...... however if i was really in over my head i would never bring my gun to any local gunsmith, especially a military surplus firearm.......CMP would be my first choice, but with a more modern gun i would do my homework and seek out an "armorer" service online who has a good reputation and go from there.......
Old 07-19-2019, 01:28 PM

[QUOTE=cmp1911admin;1851061]We have had people take their pistols, rifles to so called gunsmiths that have ruined firearms trying different things such as: "polishing the feed ramp until it is almost gone" because it was too thick and the bullet was catching on the lip, polishing the locking lugs as the barrel was too tight in the slide and was hard to take out, enlarging the ejection port so the case would not stove pipe, replacing good parts with bad parts, grip bushing came loose so the gunsmith tac welded it so it would not come off (forgot to take magazine out and got that too), straighten the slide stop plunger spring, replace the trigger with a 38 super trigger, polish the slide ramps too much, these are just a few of the things we have seen so far. YES I KNOW THERE ARE SO GREAT 1911 gumsmiths that know more then our whole crew, but for everyone one of those there are 2 that have no clue. Those are just a few of the actions a buyer might do to void the warranty and yes we will know. The list is too long to talk about what "gunsmiths" do to the M1, carbines and 1903 rifles.[/QUOT

That is funny. I mean really sad. I showed mine to a someone who was an expert and the first thing out of his mouth was i needed to enlarge the ejection port so spent casing would not have a small dent on them. He was ready with his marker and dremel to have st it.