Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2019, 02:18 PM

Default Hahn Receivers

OK, I'm probably gonna open a bucket of worms. I know once a machinegun always a machinegun, But has any one ever seen any official paperwork on Hahn rewelded receivers? I have a quote from "M14 rifles history and development" by Lee Emerson That Hahn Machine Co. legally made semi-auto rifles by cutting and welding USGI M14 receivers in 1990. I knew a captain on a local police force that bought at a local gun shop a Hahn receiver legally. He has since passed and I was wondering if his rifle is out there is there any liability if it was bought and if so could it be disassembled for the parts and the receiver destroyed?
Old 07-08-2019, 02:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

My understanding is the Hahn receivers were compliant with the BATF rules and were/are legal to own. Unless something has changed. There was another company that did the same type welding of M14 receivers and the BATF stepped in and confiscated those from owners....without compensation.
James River with Bula receivers is currently doing these receivers...you supply the cut M14 receivers.

Last edited by Shomway; 07-08-2019 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
My understanding is the Hahn receivers were compliant with the BATF rules and were/are legal to own. Unless something has changed. There was another company that did the same type welding of M14 receivers and the BATF stepped in and confiscated those from owners....without compensation.
James River with Bula receivers is currently doing these receivers...you supply the cut M14 receivers.
Your thinking of MKS receivers and that is a very big but sepperate can-o-worms, with the James River/Bula all you supply is your USGI M14 heal and they do the rest. Other than the heal with its markings it retains no auto specific features.
Old 07-13-2019, 03:57 PM

I have a Hahn TRW that is built up into a Match rifle. Great gun
Old 07-13-2019, 11:14 PM

Rewelds are perfectly legal, I've heard about the MKS stuff for years but never have seen anything official as to what the issue was - supposedly they re-welded the receivers then milled off the automatic lug instead of milling it off first. I'm not sure it was anything more than a misinformed and overzealous agent making a bad decision.

'Once a machine gun, always a machine gun' is not the law, by the way - it is bureaucratic fiat.

Eli
Old 07-14-2019, 02:29 PM

Probably the biggest problem MKS had was they did not mill off the lug. They welded them up and retained the other two features that were not allowed by the ATF. MKS had other problems to regarding compliance. I assembled several and later dis-assembled them when the ATF started confiscating the receivers and some completed rifles. My customers were not happy... LRB Arms did refund and replace some of the confiscated receivers. LRB was the distributor for MKS and ended up producing receivers in legal form. They were the precursor to todays excellent LRB forged receivers.
Old 08-04-2019, 12:18 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to me109g4

Remember seeing bunches of the Hahn receivers for sale at the "Big E" gun show,, rarely see a Hahn receiver anywhere now,,