Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2019, 10:00 PM

One glance and I knew what it is. A Drill Rifle. You need a good gunsmith to eyeball it. Do not shoot it until that 'smith OK's it. You will need a new barrel for starters.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:12 AM

A big thanks to the members here for helping me get some of these questions answered. The most important thing here is that nobody was injured by this potentially dangerous rifle. As of right now I am faced with a decision: what to do with this thing. The rifle has zero sentimental value and most of its historical value has been diminished. However, it still has the potential to be a good shooter if shown some TLC.

Currently my budget is a limiting factor. I do not have that much to spend on the rifle and I know I need at least need a new barrel. Without the tools, or experience, I will have to have a gunsmith pull the barrel and put the new one on. However, considering the unknown history of this rifle, and what most likely is a mismatched bolt, I would be surprised if it didn't need some lapping work or if the receiver needs a true up job. I am fully aware that this job, on paper is around a $300-$400 job, can balloon to over double that very quickly.

I could sell the rifle off to another builder and already might have a possible lead. I would be in the red on the rifle but at this point it is a sunk cost.

Hang on to it and wait for the funds to come in (6 months or more) to get this thing done right.

Can anyone comment as to whether this thing is worth saving, with no sentimental value, or if it has a high probability of turning into a money pit? Do this drill rifles have flawed receivers or actions?
Old 10-15-2019, 07:41 AM

Your rifle probably needs only a barrel replacement. This is not a big deal. Ask around at any CMP type match and you will come up with someone to help you. My first M1 was rebarreled by a friendly club member at no cost to me other than the price of a used barrel. I have done the same for many others since. Good Shooting. ...
Old 10-15-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
Your rifle probably needs only a barrel replacement. This is not a big deal. Ask around at any CMP type match and you will come up with someone to help you. My first M1 was rebarreled by a friendly club member at no cost to me other than the price of a used barrel. I have done the same for many others since. Good Shooting. ...
This...
If it were me. The fortunate thing (if there is one) of reworking the drill rifles, is you can see the damage or lack thereof on the parts.
The receiver ring (without detailed pictures in 360 around it) seems good and while the cut off area was sloppily done is ok.
Don't overthink this, you don't need the action trued or something.
Get another USGI barrel that hasn't been #$%^ up and get-er-done.
Now if you don't want to mess with it, you wouldn't be the first to sell it off.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:36 AM

new G.I. barrel installed for 250.00 plus to ride home.
would spend more time in the air then my hands.
i personally would not shoot that barrel.
receiver seems ok.. less then 300.00 to make it a good safe shooter.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:45 AM

You may well run into a decent used barrel at a big gunshow. Just hunt around. Good luck.
Old 10-15-2019, 02:14 PM

A number of things were done to de-mil these rifles in order to render them unfireable and for drill use only.

The chamber was plugged with a steel rod and usually a hole was burned through the barrel to fuze that plug in place. The barrel was also tack welded to the receiver.

The bolt face was welded closed and the firing pin striker was ground down.

The Cut-off was welded in the down position so that the bolt could be cycled for drill purposes, but not removed.

The extent of the welding done on the receiver is usually the limiting factor as to whether or not it is a viable candidate for re-activating it for a shootable rifle.

Some parts are simply "toast" - that is unsafe and unusable and should be discarded. First on that list is the barrel.

Second on the discard list would be the bolt. While it might be possible to remove the welding material and drill out the firing pin hole, the heat from the welding torch may have seriously compromised the bolt in the most critical area of the locking lugs. There is no way to test this, just get a new bolt. Bolts must be matched to the new barrel anyway, and properly headspaced.

Other parts to be replaced would be the cut-off assembly, the striker, and other parts which were damaged during its life as a drill rifle.

With all that said, a de-milled drill rifle might still be a nice piece in a non-firing display or collection, as part of an honor guard - or for practicing the manual of arms in the back yard. A drill rifle, after all, is part of the history of these rifles.

The danger is when one starts to re-activate one of these relics, but in a non safe or half way manner. Even though intended as a wall hanger, someone down the road might be seriously injured or killed if the job is not done correctly and a round can be loaded and fired from it.