Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2019, 10:21 AM

And were the M14 plastics built/designed for firing or drill?
Old 10-09-2019, 04:07 PM

I have two of these 1903 Plastic Drill Rifle Stocks. One is very badly deteriorated and the other has a definite downward warp which would bear on the barrel if placed on the rifle with the rest of the stock hardware. They certainly look rough. Even the most beat up walnut stock looks better.

I have never used them on a rifle for shooting purposes, but might give it a try at some point just to see how they might work. Would fire the rifle remotely from a secure tire mount, however rather than from the shoulder. My concern would be for the area of the recoil lugs and guard screws.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:18 PM

I never saw a broken one, I would assume that they were built to replace the wood! The ones in my unit were never changed back to wood!
Old 10-09-2019, 05:08 PM

gas gun vs bolt gun, big difference. I wouldn't want to shoot an 03 with one of those fiberglass drill stocks.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:44 AM

Have not seen fiberglass but remember there were some that were more like structural nylon than fiberglass. Had one on an A3 and it was shot quite a bit with no issues. This was back almost 40 years ago so my recollection on the material used in the stock may be incorrect. The drill team where I went to college used some on the practice rifles and saved the wood ones for competition. Saw a wood stocks break at the pistol grip when the but was slammed onto the floor but the synthetics. Suspect the impact onto a hard floor is far greater than the force generated in shooting, hell they actually bent tangs on several rifles.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:27 AM

I replaced the fiberglass stock with a nce wooden stock, so what should I do with the intact fiberglass stock?
Old 10-16-2019, 12:18 PM

2 very different versions of "fiberglass".
Old 10-16-2019, 02:24 PM

Did not know there were two versions. This stock came off a 1903A3 Drill rifle. I didn't find any marks on the stock and a number 2 on the rear of the hand guard, if any of this helps.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy1a View Post
Did not know there were two versions. This stock came off a 1903A3 Drill rifle. I didn't find any marks on the stock and a number 2 on the rear of the hand guard, if any of this helps.
Not 2 Versions of drill stock but the plastic/fiberglass 03 drill stock is very different than the M14 fiberglass stock which was purpose made to shoot and stand harsh treatment.