Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 10:08 AM

Anybody figure out a way to 'age' the repo leather slings to make them look a bit more at home on a vintage rifle? I tried using wood stain, shoe polish, soaking in water, etc... but it still looks way too new....
Old 05-03-2013, 10:17 AM

I would REALLY avoid that "soaking in water".
Old 05-03-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2AD_Vet View Post
Anybody figure out a way to 'age' the repo leather slings to make them look a bit more at home on a vintage rifle? I tried using wood stain, shoe polish, soaking in water, etc... but it still looks way too new....
Alcohol leather dyes are what you need to use. All the other methods you mentioned won't do the job. Unfortunately, many cheaper repro slings have what appears to be a hard, "sealed" surface on the finished side making them very difficult to Dye or even darken by the application of oil. The other problem is that when you treat the unfinished back side it bleeds through and blotches up the finished side as it inconsistantly soaks into the back of the finished surface. Sooooo, you add more oil or dye on the back and muck up the whole works. If you used neatsfoot or other leather treatment oil to do that you end up with an oily, stretchy, slippery and useless sling for shooting.

A good quality sling will have a finished surface but it won't have that hard stiff finish on it because they use quality leather, it's thick and it will darken with just a light application of treatments (if it's on a shooter, no oil...use a product that has natural ingredients and Bees Wax such as Skidmoors Leather Cream). If you oil a shooter sling it will soften, stretch and slip forever. Bees Wax stays on the sling surface after the treatment dries, protects the leather and creates a gripping surface for shooting.

Larry
Old 05-03-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthompson502002 View Post
I sell repros, and use them.

Main thing with real web or M1907's, which I much prefer, is they're valuable and tend to deteriorate quickly, and sometimes, dangerously.

I have had two vintage M1907's break on me, one of them a WWI "M1918" (I've never been sure that's official nomenclature) probably worth $200 today. Those have a third hook.

I cut my forearms (not rifle forearms, MY forearms!!, mainly the left) with web units when I was still capable of decent offhand shooting with a sling wrap.

I soften new ones with neatsfoot, liberally, until they're almost BLACK.
Do you oil slings before you sell them?
Old 05-03-2013, 03:15 PM

How do you age new slings - use them. I never liked distressed leather coats and factory faded blue jeans.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S99VG View Post
How do you age new slings - use them. I never liked distressed leather coats and factory faded blue jeans.
Yes but the slings darkened with neats look a lot better with old stocks. New slings don't look bad with new stocks though. Just my opinion.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:15 PM

You asked.

I rarely neatsfoot anything before selling it, albeit there have been exceptions.

My grandson's competition M1 has a 3-hook B.A.R. sling on it, which I pretty much saturated to make it about the same color as the walnut and very soft.

Also, if they sit around long enough, I will sometimes go over everything with one pass of neatsfoot. That hasn't happened for a long time.

My own I oil about every time I use them.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:42 PM

Not oiling a leather sling is like not finishing wood. I would use neats foot on a new sling and olive oil on older slings - especially if they have any cracks. The only exception might be for new slings with factory finishes like Uncle Mikes or the new Boyts. For the price, the MRT (Mildew Resistant Treatment) slings that pop up at guns show for 20-30 bucks are not bad for the price. The have sewn keepers and are made of decent leather.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:07 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthompson502002 View Post
I have had two vintage M1907's break on me, one of them a WWI "M1918" (I've never been sure that's official nomenclature) probably worth $200 today. Those have a third hook.

Three hook slings are for the BAR.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:48 PM

Hardly news. I have always preferred the 3-hook on rifles...more stable for using sling wraps.

And I do sell them, too, albeit I am very low in stock as of right now.

Indeed, my later brother-in-law told me of his preference for the 3-hook jobs because he could mount them around and over pack gear. And he always dealt with the Garand. He was a half-track driver ca.1943-45, Europe.

Nothing bad happens if they're used on the standard rifle of the period, and it was apparently quite common.

Might be helpful to read the other post.

Last edited by jimthompson502002; 05-05-2013 at 09:49 PM.