Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2009, 10:42 PM

Default Sticking action

I changed stocks when I got my Saginaw RG the other day. It came with a good condition FAT 82 but I had a nicer S'G' stock and hand guard that I had cleaned up. I also changed the recoil plate to a SG.
Once I installed the action in the stock I pulled the op rod back and it stuck to the rear. I could bang it forward with the heel of my hand but would stick each time I yanked it rearward.

I checked for contact between the metal and wood and could see none. I had tightened the recoil plate screw pretty tight. After going through the same drill I still had the action sticking to the rear.

While it was locked back I backed off the plate screw about half a turn and the action snapped closed. It would return to battery without any drag. I turned the screw 1/4 turn to tighten and the action still worked fine. Another 1/4 turn and it locked back.

I loosened the screw 1/4 turn and had no locking problems. Has anyone had this problem with a Carbine? I did notice that the barrel sat much higher in the stock before I added the hand guard and lock in place. Much more than the 1/8th inch I've read that is ideal.
My other Carbines have the recoil plate screw tight as I can get them have have not had this problem.
Any info from you guys on this matter would be great.
J.R.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:16 PM

Recoil plates and recoil lugs vary as does the recoil plate stock inletting angle. The M2 potbelly stocks are usually the best inletted for a tight recoil plate. Most of my M1 stocks have floating or lose recoil plates held fast by the leverage of the receiver/barrel and adjusted by the recoil plate tension screw for the 1/8" barrel height at the channel. Very little is consistent with carbines IMO which is why they are so amusing and collectable. Most AR's will shoot like match rifles and for this marvelous feat of engineering are all together quite boring. I enjoy shooting my AR's, but it's my carbines that challenge my skills and aptitude.

I gather from your bolt sticking that you were binding the action from excessive leverage at the recoil lug. I would never venture that far with the tension screw for fear of cracking the stock and spoiling accuracy as the barrel warms. Strive for that balance of screw tension that achieves the 1/8" at the barrel channel.

Last edited by guncotton; 11-25-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:14 AM

You do not tighten the recoil plate down after the hand guard is installed you are putting a lot of pressure one the stock and could crack it. You need to set the receiver into the stock and adjust the recoil plate so as to have the barrel raised above the stock about a quarter of a inch. Push the barrel down into the stock and install the hand guard there should be no play between the stock and metal parts. There is an article on the sales page about setting up the stock.

Emmett
Old 11-26-2009, 02:44 AM

As the others said, you need to adjust the recoil plate to achieve the 1/8" height and proper clearance of the slide. I never tighten my plate screws all the way and usually adjust them as Emmett described. Once the handguard is in place and the barrel band tightened, all should be tight, with the 1/8" gap under the barrel at the channel.

All human situations have their inconveniences. We feel those of the present but neither see nor feel those of the future; and hence we often make troublesome changes without amendment, and frequently for the worse.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)
Old 11-26-2009, 07:30 AM

I've had a couple where the underside of the slide arm was dragging on the wood. It doesn't readily show the slide marks. A little sanding of the top edge of the wood and they were good to go. Loosening the recoil would raise the receiver enough to let the slide move easily; check the wood closely.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:51 AM

Thanks for all the input. I always tighten the recoil plate screw before the hand gauge installed on the action. I have noticed some of the 8 carbines in my collection take more turns of the screw than others to get the 1/8" rise of the barrel. My guess is that the wood on some of the stocks has been compressed over the years and it takes more to tighten.
Again, thanks, seems fine now that I backed off a little. Have a great Thanksgiving.
J.R.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:50 AM

The reason it didn't happen on the FAT stock, it is an M2 style. The stock you put it in is an M1 with the wood bridge on the bottom in front of the magazine. When you tightened it down, the bottom of the slide was pulled down against the wood bridge.