Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Shoot it or, not?
SHOOT 108 96.43%
DON'T SHOOT 4 3.57%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2019, 10:28 AM

Default To shoot or not...

To shoot or not to shoot - that is the question.

Having waited (not so) patiently for my CMP 1911, I am thrilled with what I received. See this link http://forums.thecmp.org/showpost.ph...&postcount=254

However, now that I have it and realize that it appears to have never even been issued since it's last rebuild in 1976, I find myself wondering whether I should shoot it or, keep it in it's 'time capsule' state. Throughout this process I had fully intended to shoot what I expected to receive was a nice, rebuilt but well-used example of the 1911. I have several other 1911 type pistols I can shoot - both military and commercial so, I won't be deprived if I don't shoot this.

On the other hand, it was rebuilt to continue it's useful life. So, I'd like to hear your opinions - what would you do with this pistol? Shoot or, Don't shoot? Just for kicks, we'll see what the poll says.

Update 15 May 19 - Well, I took the plunge. Ran a few mags through it today. Functioned flawlessly, as expected. Probably won't shoot it much - I have other 1911's to shoot - but, I'm sure I will occasionally. Thanks to all for your comments.

Last edited by cav_cdr; 05-15-2019 at 08:16 PM. Reason: updated info
Old 05-11-2019, 10:31 AM

Well CMP1911 did test fire it.

I say shoot it.

Had 136 Pos feedbacks on the old system, in over two hundred transactions. They went poof. Please post your feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=200241
Old 05-11-2019, 10:40 AM

As soon as I completely clean it, I will shoot it. This is my first time around with a 1911 and want to make sure it operates properly.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:59 AM

Shoot it, it will not be worth any less.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:59 AM

I'd shoot it a little but it wouldn't be a constant range toy.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:06 PM

Default Shoot then store

I'll shoot a couple mags to see how accurate and for old time sake then it becomes a safe queen. My reasons for purchasing one were a souvenoir/retirement gift to myself and to remember the several I carried on active duty. If a friend or relative wants to shoot for whatever reason that will be fine too. I have plenty of other 1911s for sport shooting so no need to use this one on a regular basis.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:21 PM

Shoot it. Yours was born in 1944 and most likely saw plenty of use until it was inspected, repaired, and placed into war storage in 1976 waiting for the next time it would be needed by the U.S. military. It's already been test fired by the CMP so putting a few more rounds down range will do nothing to alter it's value or history. Enjoy it for what it is, a 75+ year old war horse that will be around and functioning long after both you and I are gone.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:31 PM

All the USGI 1911s currently in my collection are original condition with (to the best of my knowledge) as-issued factory parts. I don't shoot them for two reasons: 1) in the unlikely event that something breaks and I have to replace a part, it's not all original any more and 2) they shoot no differently than my AO GI-style 1911 so if I want to scratch that itch, I can do it with a $300 gun instead of a $2300 gun.

However, these CMP 1911s are a completely different animal. They've already been rebuilt multiple times and are mixmasters with even some commercial contract parts on them. If something bad happens (however unlikely) and you have to replace a part, it won't affect value in the least.

The only one I might hesitate to shoot a lot would be an example with an un-heat-treated WWI slide, but even then, a few rounds here and there probably won't hurt.

Shoot it and enjoy it.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:32 PM

I have a number of 1911s, both GI and commercial. I test fire the GIs with a couple of magazines then clean them and put them away in the safe. I will probably do the same with a CMP pistol since I have several commercial pistols to shoot.

For those who will be receiving their first 1911 I agree with thebearpack... shoot it and enjoy it.
Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
http://wwiimemorial.com/Registry/pla...oreeID=1841138
Old 05-11-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
All the USGI 1911s currently in my collection are original condition with (to the best of my knowledge) as-issued factory parts. I don't shoot them for two reasons: 1) in the unlikely event that something breaks and I have to replace a part, it's not all original any more and 2) they shoot no differently than my AO GI-style 1911 so if I want to scratch that itch, I can do it with a $300 gun instead of a $2300 gun.

However, these CMP 1911s are a completely different animal. They've already been rebuilt multiple times and are mixmasters with even some commercial contract parts on them. If something bad happens (however unlikely) and you have to replace a part, it won't affect value in the least.

The only one I might hesitate to shoot a lot would be an example with an un-heat-treated WWI slide, but even then, a few rounds here and there probably won't hurt.

Shoot it and enjoy it.
Not all have been rebuilt multiple times...........just sayin. Those are in the minority but there have been a few that have made it out with original finish and the frame and slide matching.