Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2019, 10:56 AM

Thank you Ben Tolson

I have learned something cool today.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:01 PM

your welcome. I set up & sell sights, scopes, mounts, rings and other small items at most major shows in the Western US. Receiver sights intrigue me...especially early Lyman 48's... I'm always search for parts for the same...
Old 10-10-2019, 08:30 PM

Thanks, Ben.

Say, do you work on the externally adjustable scope rings?
Old 10-10-2019, 10:01 PM

I don't... parts are just impossible to locate. Ironsight in Tulsa is where I send mine that need help. If you need sights, or parts and pieces of sights, I may able to assist. Ben
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calfed View Post
Thanks, Ben.

Say, do you work on the externally adjustable scope rings?
Old 10-10-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Tolson View Post
I don't... parts are just impossible to locate. Ironsight in Tulsa is where I send mine that need help. If you need sights, or parts and pieces of sights, I may able to assist. Ben

Iron Sight just finished some work for me on a couple of Weaver K series scopes. They did a great job. I knew they worked on the older Unertl/Fecker style scopes, but did not realize they also work on the adjustable rings.

Thanks.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Tolson View Post
your welcome. I set up & sell sights, scopes, mounts, rings and other small items at most major shows in the Western US. Receiver sights intrigue me...especially early Lyman 48's... I'm always search for parts for the same...
I enjoy your same pursuits.

I have a Lyman 48 on My Winchester Model 70/Unertl scoped rifle.

Ive wanted a blank slide piece to fill the staff dovetail and increase some room between the scope and peep.

I thought it would be fools hunt but this summer, while laid up after appendicitis, I picked one up for less that what I would have spent on Ebay.

To me it was like winning a million dollar lottery
Old 10-11-2019, 05:20 PM

I heard back from Bob Beach, the now-retired historian for Griffin and Howe...

"I regret that I have retired from doing the research and letters of provenance effective the end of 2018. There is a current G&H employee who intends to continue the service but it will take some time to rearrange his present responsibilities and familiarize him with the available documents.
A new Research email account has not yet been set up for him so I will continue to read and respond to inquiries. As you may know there are no original G&H& records prior to 1970 except for those rifles sold through Abercrombie & Fitch which owned G&H from 1930 until 1976 and sold many G&H rifles as both new and used guns. I checked all of the possible G&H serials numbers in the A&F records that were in the form 1x27 and there were four possibilities, but each does not seem to describe your rifle.

No. 1127 is built on a Winc. M54 action

No. 1627 has a 26 inch barrel

No. 1827 is a Winc. model 70 in .270 caliber

No. 1927 is in caliber 257 Roberts.

This suggests that your rifle could be:

No. 1027 built in 1930 Ė 31

No. 1227 built in 1933

No. 1327 built about 1933 - 34

No. 1427 built in 1935

No. 1527 built about 1936

or No. 1727 built in the early 1940ís

These dates are derived from the dates of near number G&H rifles sold at A&F and Michael Petroffís research. I will check the files at G&H when I next get there which may not happen until November. G&H does have some paperwork for guns that were sent back for shop work post 1970 but these havenít yet been put into the database that I can check. If I find anything more for you Iíll be sure to get back to you.

Thank you for the inquiry and enjoy owning this piece of undocumented history.

Regards,"