Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2019, 06:44 AM

I agree that it would be a "repack" to have that much cosmoline. The May 1961 dates on the box and the label support that too.

Can anyone decode the label? I would guess that the "TE" on the second row (far right under the tape) is Tooele Army Depot.

Dave
Old 08-02-2019, 06:58 AM

Like a Irish contract .303 in mummy wrap . . . Leave it alone! Want one to hold/shoot - plenty of others out there. This s not common. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:03 AM

Cplnorton,

What you're interpreting from archive documents does not jibe with what I found in archive documents and what I see at the CMP. Your credibility will suffer.

I'll leave it at that.

J.B.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
Cplnorton,

What you're interpreting from archive documents does not jibe with what I found in archive documents and what I see at the CMP. Your credibility will suffer.

I'll leave it at that.

J.B.
John I appreciate you looking out for me. But I'm literally staring at the folder on them at the archives as we speak. They were coated in a light oil and stored in wooden crates originally.

On 12 June 1950 they ordered all inspected and the light oil removed and to be instead coated in medium grease (cosmoline). Then repackaged again in wood crates again. They sometimes specified they use a paper for thr packing. I think they called it VPI. I didnt go back and look.

But all rifles were cleaned, inspected, and re greased.

It took a while to process this but they did them all by the mid to late 50s. Including rebuilding a substantial amount of them. So by the time you seen them at the cmp I understand why all you saw were like this.

This is literally one of three folders I've copied on this. I have several thousand pages on this now. Plus I have a lot from the small arms section on this post ww2 files.

It details how they were packed. The problems of it, and how they remedied it.

Here is just one folder.

Last edited by cplnorton; 08-02-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:49 AM

I do have the original packing docs as well from Remington detailing they were packaged in a heavy coat of slushing oil, not grease. Then to be packaged in wood crates.

I will post this as well as the originals to repack them and some of the findings when discovered when they did unpack them when I get back to the hotel tonight
Old 08-02-2019, 01:00 PM

Permit me to be abundantly clear. I fully concur that the cosmoline on this and other rifles featured recently did not originate from the rifle factories.

J.B.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:29 PM

I don’t think it’s fair to questions Steve’s credibility when him and andrew are consistently the only ones who actually post their research.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeroub View Post
You can always clean it up later (perpetually, to become never), but you can never unclean after it has been cleaned. Keep it as is!
I disagree. The rifle was "uncleaned" prior to the application of this layer of cosmoline being added. The idea that late production 03-a3's were delivered to the army and never issued is wishful thinking. It's either a tool or a collectible. Shoot it or look at it. Storing it in ugly grease as an investment is not worth it. It will never appreciate enough in value to be worth an investment stuck in a box.

Last edited by spt_1955; 08-02-2019 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:47 PM

Thank you for your response. Currently I’ve just put the box in a similar box and added it to my rifle box pile. I will probably leave it as it sits because honestly it’s not something you run across often. The value is what it is and I’m not horribly worried about that because it was purchased due to interest over value. It’s something cool that someone several years ago picked up and instead of doing what everyone else did by cleaning it up he left it in the box as received where it has hid for the last 55+ years. Heck the one side of the box is cool itself as I bet you would have to look real hard to find another instance of one popping up. There are several that have the paperwork that have shown up but I only found one other instance of the shipping box from the arsenal in the last several years.

—-posted from my phone so grammar errors are probably present.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
Permit me to be abundantly clear. I fully concur that the cosmoline on this and other rifles featured recently did not originate from the rifle factories.

J.B.
So I'll be honest, I'm lost on this. I posted it did not come that way from Remington and was repackaged like that at a arsenal.

You told me I was interrupting documents wrong and my credibility will suffer.

Then I backed up my statement with a detailed explanations on why I have come to that conclusion.

Then you agreed with my initial statement that it was not done that way by Remington and was done at the Armory.

So I'm not following where you think I'm wrong, because it now seems to me you agree with me.

If you have documents that contradict what I'm saying, I would gladly listen to what your research has concluded. I'm very open about changing my mind on a topic if new research leads me to that determination.