Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2019, 09:09 PM

Default Another Sporterized M1903A4 Recovery

I recently picked up this sporterized M1903A4, Serial #4998201, off of Gunbroker a few months ago. I got it for a real reasonable price. Here it is as I acquired it:

More pics in detail...
https://imgur.com/a/a8PiQN6

Once it came into my possession, I gathered the appropriate parts to bring it back into it's USGI glory. Some parts I had on hand, some I had to source. Once I had gathered the necessary components, I sent them off to Chuck in Denver to work his magic on it. Here's what he sent back to me:

Here's more pics of the finished product:

https://imgur.com/a/w0fGmdc

I'll let Chuck field the technical questions of what he did to bring it back to this configuration. I will say that the bolt was jeweled in a superb manor, so it wouldn't have looked good re-blued. However it looked sharp reparked. The scope is an early post-war Lyman Alaskan I had sitting around. All other parts are USGI. The stock isn't an original A4 stock, but is NOS USGI. I haven't range-tested it yet, but will follow up with a range report once I can get some range time set up.

If you want to know the financials, all-told I have $2500 into this rifle, to include what I owed Chuck after he did his work to it. Keep checking the usual places, genuine A4's are still lurking about at reasonable prices.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Nice find and a nice job! Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:39 PM

And I honestly don't know why in this image the front of the scope has that angled look to it. Maybe it's the angle I took the pic, I dunno. The scope is unaltered.

Old 10-15-2019, 01:05 PM

That came out looking pretty spiffy!
Old 10-15-2019, 01:48 PM

Nice restoration. Do you plan to build another nice sporter with all the left over parts?
Old 10-15-2019, 03:21 PM

Thanks for sharing
Old 10-16-2019, 10:19 AM

Outstanding job saving a life and returning it to a faithfull "as issued" theme ! Thats an interesting scope mount position. On my Rock Ridge a4 repro the scope turret housing rests behind the front scope ring. Is it just a preference thing or is your scope mount position "as issued" ? Heres a pic of my a4 :

Old 10-16-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Clam View Post
Outstanding job saving a life and returning it to a faithfull "as issued" theme ! Thats an interesting scope mount position. On my Rock Ridge a4 repro the scope turret housing rests behind the front scope ring. Is it just a preference thing or is your scope mount position "as issued" ? Heres a pic of my a4 :

I'm not an expert by any means, but if you mount it with the turrets in front, the scope bell angle matches the notch in the base. I think that is why the notch is there.

Last edited by Light1984; 10-16-2019 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-25-2019, 07:02 PM

This topic has been kicked about quite often. It's been stated before, but in the US Army's TM 9-2200, there is a pic of the A4 with an M73 variant of the Lyman Alaskan mounted. Clearly the adjustment turrets are mounted forward of the front scope ring. And the M73B1 looks to have some more variance to the M73 Lyman for mounting range. I'm not suggesting that as the gold-standard with how the scope is mounted. Ultimately, to me anyway, it comes down to shooter's preference. Where does the scope position feel comfortable to the shooter, and does the bolt handle clear the scope. I'm sure others will weigh in with their advice, but ultimately it comes down to shooter's preference IMHO.

Last edited by Cavtanker; 10-25-2019 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-26-2019, 08:16 AM

Senich pg 97 states: " the specific manner in which Ordinance had intended their mounting has not been revealed". Given the differences in human dimensions, the variations in turret location are very much an individual choice. The Alaskan is much less a problem than the Weaver K2.5 or K4, which are outright dangerous to the shooter. A rubber cuff is recommended for the K scopes. Shooters should be aware that eye relief shortens greatly when moving from bench shooting to the prone position. Good Shooting. ...