Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2019, 07:39 PM

Default Remington 1903 Questions

Mr Beard

I purchased a Remington 1903 at the CMP Oklahoma Games last week, serial number 3209616. I really don't know too much about 1903s but this rifle looked very clean and had nice S stock. The bore is a little dark but the tag recorded a muzzle reading of 1 and a throat of 2. I expect after a little bore scrubbing and TLC, it should be a great shooter. Have you worked on this specific rifle at CMP and possibly have additional information on it?

By the way, the trigger housing is stamped (parkerized) and was unsure if this was correct for this rifles time-frame.

Thanks in advance for your help!

SAJTU
Old 10-15-2019, 10:07 PM

Thanks for your interest and inquiry!

And thanks for your patronage!

I show no record of having inspected Remington M1903, S/N 3209616. A small-bow stamped trigger guard would be correct for your rifle, but the finish should be blue, not parkerized. A stamped magazine follower, stamped lower band, and stamped buttplate can also be considered correct.

Thanks again for your interest and inquiry! And thanks again for your patronage!

J.B.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:52 AM

Mr. Beard

Thanks for the quick response and information. I forgot to mention the tag had Inspector 11 and was unsure if that was you. Barrel is a 7-42. The rifle stock does have a milled blue upper band (R), a stamped blue lower band (R), and stamped blue buttplate. I donít believe thereís a cut for a handguard ring. The bolt body is parkerized (R) and the parkerized, stamped trigger guard is a small bow. All other small parts seem to have an R stamp. As soon as I get it cleaned up, Iíll post a few photos.

Thanks again for you help!

SAJTU
Old 10-16-2019, 10:36 AM

Your description indicates that you may have a mostly original rifle. The upper band should be parkerized or black, not blue. And the bolt body should be blue. Inspector 11 is a good lady at the CMP that I work with.

J.B.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:16 PM

John Beard, as you inspect many no doubt original rifles, Are there serial # ranges where the stamped parts start showing upon Rem 03's? I'm guessing they don't all show up at the same time and overlap with the milled parts. Would my Rem 03 resto project 3192something have any stamped? Is this info published anywhere?

George
Old 10-16-2019, 06:35 PM

I have several books a couple cost me big money. My favorite was reasonable priced. Good clear images. Well written. And right to the point on what goes with what.

"An Illustrated Guide to the '03 SPRINGFIELD SERVICE RIFLE" by Bruce N Canfield

As for the question, if I understand you, the stamped parts were used on the 03a3. The 03 had milled parts. It is very clear cut, no real grey area. AFAIK or care.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjungle56 View Post
John Beard, as you inspect many no doubt original rifles, Are there serial # ranges where the stamped parts start showing upon Rem 03's? I'm guessing they don't all show up at the same time and overlap with the milled parts. Would my Rem 03 resto project 3192something have any stamped? Is this info published anywhere?

George
As you said, with plenty of "overlaps", I believe stamped parts started showing up in the 3,200,000 range.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
I have several books a couple cost me big money. My favorite was reasonable priced. Good clear images. Well written. And right to the point on what goes with what.

"An Illustrated Guide to the '03 SPRINGFIELD SERVICE RIFLE" by Bruce N Canfield

As for the question, if I understand you, the stamped parts were used on the 03a3. The 03 had milled parts. It is very clear cut, no real grey area. AFAIK or care.
Your reference book is flawed.

More to come. I will make one brief comment, however. The stamped bayonet and stacking band are exclusive to the M'03-A3 and were not approved or used on the M1903.

J.B.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
Your reference book is flawed.

More to come. I will make one brief comment, however. The stamped bayonet and stacking band are exclusive to the M'03-A3 and were not approved or used on the M1903.

J.B.
Looking forward to reading more. The two parts mentioned is in agreement with the book. I dont know if he has an 03 or a3. It must be a later 03? I do understand there was a transitional 03 that may have eased in a few changes. I though that was mentioned at least in passing by Canfield? Then we all make mistakes or learn new things. In any case, if convinced of errors, I will add a notes in the margins.

As an after thought, have members here have memorized the Remington serial 03&A3 serial numbers vs changes? Wow! If so; that is impressive.

Edit: I need to read all the details more carefully before posting. But, I do look forward to reading more.

Last edited by fourbore; 10-17-2019 at 05:30 AM.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post

Stamped parts were introduced on the Remington M1903 in the general serial number range I stated. Some parts, like the upper band (with bayonet lug) remained milled until the end of production.