Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2019, 06:00 PM

...one thing that isn't missing is arrogance and assumptions. Courtesy is definitely missing. Didn't realize that some members on this forum could be so high and mighty. I'm done Thanks.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
Your rifle was turned in to the CMP from a VFW or American Legion post. The posts regularly modified their rifles for cosmetic reasons to include chrome plating, painted stocks, and yes, painted barrels and receivers. As a CMP store patron, your friend had the opportunity to hold and examine the rifle in great detail for as long as he so desired. Overlooking the painted barrel was a oversight on his part, not the CMP. But in all honesty, the paint doesn't hurt a thing as long as the paint is not in the bore. And CMP armorers are supposed to inspect and grade the bore to ensure paint and other obstructions are not in the bore. So the rifle should satisfy CMP grading criteria and your friend got what he personally selected and paid for.

J.B.

Thank you John, my last post (sarcasm) was posted before your reply came up on my screen. Your information and viewpoints are well appreciated. Thanks again.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toscano View Post
...one thing that isn't missing is arrogance and assumptions. Courtesy is definitely missing. Didn't realize that some members on this forum could be so high and mighty. I'm done Thanks.
Sir:
You gave no usable information to answer your questions with.
What information you did give was contradictory.
I'm sorry but we cant help you without clear information.

Mr Beard was kind enough to provide an overview what/how it is possible that a M1903 barrel was painted.

Post some pictures and a clear explanation of what you are asking...……..
PS.... it might be easier if the actual owner of the rifle posted here, so that questions/answers can be direct.

Last edited by Gewehr43; 10-17-2019 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toscano View Post
Thank you John, my last post (sarcasm) was posted before your reply came up on my screen. Your information and viewpoints are well appreciated. Thanks again.

The folks at the CMP go out of their way to please their patrons. If your friend is totally dissatisfied with his rifle, have him contact the CMP, explain the situation, and see if they can help him out. All it takes is a phone call. He has nothing to lose.

J.B.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:38 PM

So the barrel is painted, OK. Has anyone tried to remove the paint? Shouldn't be too difficult a task. Just my opinion, mind you. Good luck.

Last edited by Calif-Steve; 10-18-2019 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:04 AM

Here's another very remote possibility: If the rifle is one of the Greek Returns from several years ago and has somehow been sitting in a CMP warehouse since then, the "paint" could be what was referred to as the "Greek Black" coating. Looks a lot like black paint but tough as nails. A long shot but maybe worth considering. This post is a classic case where a few good pics (receiver, barrel markings, front end, overall) could clear up a multitude of issues.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:55 PM

Hi Toscano,

I have seen at least five painted rifles that shot very well, actually there was one at Camp Perry this year! It's easy to remove the paint in a proper way! YOU have to TRY to help us out! Two pages of posts with no useful info!

Apparently, whoever is the OWNER has not read the very clear STAMPED info on the breach of the rifle in question!
The breach is the thick part at the end of the barrel where the bolt locks into it .

Your omission here is not the fault of the fine posters here! PLEASE don't give them grief over your apparent inability to answer easy questions!
We still don't know if your rifle is a Springfield 1903 or a 1903 A3 Made by Springfield, Remington or Smith Corona.

You are the ONLY one to have seen this rifle! PLEASE help yourself & us ----WE will try to help you out.----
What color is the barrel painted --White, Silver, Black? Was the stock painted too? Usually white or shiny black. That info, can help who painted it!

Did it have a sling -color? Usually brown leather, some black or white? Color guard or drill team!

What info is on the tag? Usually tan or blue in color attached to the rifle? The tag gives you the Model & caliber, usually two barrel condition reading -bore 1 to 4+ & throat 1 to 4+ some times other info.

If your not happy with the "HELP" we try to give here. I'm sure you can look some were else on the internet.

Good luck with your search,
broom

Last edited by broomhandle; 10-22-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:16 PM

To get this thread back on a + note: What did the Greeks do to the 03's they had? Any rework other than the black coating?
Old 10-18-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastit37 View Post
To get this thread back on a + note: What did the Greeks do to the 03's they had? Any rework other than the black coating?
They pinned the floorplates so that they wouldn't open on a least some of the '03s. Easy to undo on most by simply removing the pin.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:01 AM

Actually the Greeks blued over the Parkerizing. Gives a very nice black look. Long lasting, too.