Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2018, 08:52 PM

Default M1A receivers

Many years ago I had the same problem with SA inc M1A receivers. You can relieve the stock liner and glass bed. I just sold mine and went with FA and LRB receivers. There were other problems with these receivers of that era.

Last edited by Kansasbobcat; 05-17-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:09 AM

I had a similar issue with a GI stock and a M1A. Basically the stock and receiver were too tight in the in the front right side, which prevent the receiver from seating enough where the heel was down in the back.
The solution is to get inletting black, or just a #2 pencil and coat the rails of the receiver from barrel junction back and insert the stock into the receiver. Where the black marks the stock, carefully relieve wood. recoat and do it again until you're satisfied the heel is seating. basically if the black transfers on the whole stock evenly you're good.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:33 PM

Wink M1-A Heel Spacing

I also have the same problem, I own a SA Loaded M1A and wanted to put it into a Gi stock. Found a real nice Winchester Big Red and the figure in the /wood is outstanding, but I have a gap of aprox.1/8" at the heel with everything locked up. Paid good money for the stock, so I'm not ready to abandon it. I figured sooner or later, I would find someone with a similar problem. I will try the sharpie marker and gas cylinder clearance. I cannot see removing too much wood as it would affect the trigger housing lockup by becoming too loose. But I don't believe it would be anything that could not be resolved by a bedding job. Also as stated in another post masking tape is normally used in any bedding job, and also epoxy cleans up nicely with plain white vinegar, and will not hurt most GI finishes.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:28 AM

Hey Zvenoman, I love that "vandalized" stock. You have a real treasure there. I have an M1A in a GI stock that looks just like that one, without the vandalized part, but the fit is absolutely perfect. I got it from Fred that used to advertise M14 stocks in Shotgun News. It was rather pricey but it was NOS. I really like it.

I wish I was closer to you Tothemax, I got a pile of M14 stocks in the barn and would be happy to try to fit one but it is a bit of a drive from SW Texas to MT. Good luck.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobk View Post
Hey Zvenoman, I love that "vandalized" stock. You have a real treasure there. I have an M1A in a GI stock that looks just like that one, without the vandalized part, but the fit is absolutely perfect. I got it from Fred that used to advertise M14 stocks in Shotgun News. It was rather pricey but it was NOS. I really like it.

I wish I was closer to you Tothemax, I got a pile of M14 stocks in the barn and would be happy to try to fit one but it is a bit of a drive from SW Texas to MT. Good luck.
I appreciate it. We just have a really hard time finding m1a / m14/ m1 items up here. People closer to the east cost seem to have that stuff everywhere. I actually found another m14 stock at a local pawn shop and it was hacked. The guy wanted 75$ for it.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:44 AM

sherluk.com has wood stocks fo4 $60, I'd go to their contact page and ask what condition they're in.

I've done a bunch of business with them here in Ohio gun shows. AR parts, M14 parts and 1911 parts.

Good folks.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:45 AM

Okay. Thanks
Old 07-13-2018, 10:50 AM

I know what you mean about having a hard time finding stuff for our rifles. It's about the same where I live as well, it is a desert in more ways than one. I have built up a stock of parts that I got from suppliers up East, and also seems to be a lot of stuff available in Pa. I have been able to find a lot of antique items from there. The M14 stocks I have are all GI and I have some in walnut, birch, and fiberglass. They are all nice with nice cartouches and I'd give you one, but just don't know how to get it there. The mail is very costly. The last time I drove to Billings was 1975 and probably will be the last time. Getting too old to do that again. I wish you luck with your project, it can be a lot of fun and rewarding, but also frustrating in some ways. Just take what you have out and shoot it and see what happens. Have a wonderful weekend.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:31 AM

Sherluk.com also has fiberglass stocks for $60. I've bought a couple of fiberglass stocks from them and they've been in good to excellent condition.

FYI there seems to be no order as to how the parts are listed so you might have to look a bit.

They've Garand and carbine parts too. (I've no relation with them except as a customer)
Old 07-14-2018, 06:38 AM

I have M14 walnut and Birch stocks I would let go cheap. I stripped the finish off of them and never got around to refinishing them. You just need to oil them, would say service grade or better condition. PM me if interested . Would make you a deal on multiples