Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2018, 12:34 PM

Default Price on "very good" polytech M-14S

Saw one in the store that looked nice but wanted to see what reasonable price is. Checked gunbroker, but only a couple there so not a great sample. Searched forums and most posts are a couple of years old so wanted to see if those prices were still good. They are asking $1250 OTD.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:45 PM

Just sold one ( stamped on he left rear side ) for $1,000.00 localy . Bob
Old 07-10-2018, 02:35 PM

Depends on the parts. If all polytech with crappy stock then I would pass, check the prices for new SAI and others.
If it comes with a good stock, accessories and maybe some US parts then itís worth looking at.
Jh
Old 07-10-2018, 08:07 PM

The problem is, there's great receivers and other US-made current-productions parts available. JRA/Bula guns are $1500 +/- NIB, it costs a bit of money to get the Chinese gun up to that level.
I've owned Norinco and Poly-Tech M14/S rifles in the past (1990s, when they were cheap), mine always ended up with excess headspace - and many receivers were ruined by gunsmiths attempting to fit GI bolts to them. I sold mine, telling the buyers about the issue, and referring them to Ron Smith - who was knowledgeable and reputable in repairing them.
I know they still bring good money, I'm just not sure why they still do.

Eli
Old 07-18-2018, 11:13 PM

Well, I've bought 2 polytechs in past year or so. Both for about $900. First one was unfired, had been put in M14 wood with a GI flash suppressor. That one is a freak of nature-shoots absurdly well for what it is- will clean 300 rapid prone. The headspace is a bit "generous", it has it's own batch of brass with a die setup just for it. The second one, slightly used, in a plastic SAI stock, shoots to about government spec for issue M14, when placed in regular M14 stock, about 3 MOA. Sold that one to good friend that wanted one, but does not compete.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:49 AM

I have had a few over the years and they all shot very well.
RVN 67-68
Old 07-24-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliyahu View Post
and referring them to Ron Smith - who was knowledgeable and reputable in repairing them.
That's who did all the work on my Norinco. A+ job.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:29 AM

Couple of weeks ago a dealer a local gun show had a new in box Polytech, for $900. Took him 3 hours or so to sell, so maybe it was priced too cheap, last year a local gun store had a used Polytech sit on the rack for months before dropping the price to $650 to get rid of it.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkjeep View Post
Couple of weeks ago a dealer a local gun show had a new in box Polytech, for $900. Took him 3 hours or so to sell, so maybe it was priced too cheap, last year a local gun store had a used Polytech sit on the rack for months before dropping the price to $650 to get rid of it.
Many people assume they are junk. Rumors, gun store "experts", lack of anyone local with actual knowledge; they just aren't as well known and haven't been imported in years.
I have seen some priced >$1000, $1200 that sold and others that sat for months.
If I saw a complete Chinese M14 for under $1000 I would take a good long look.
As others have said the market has several quality receiver options now that just weren't available a few years ago, but at the end of the day will a quality build on a polytech/norinco be "worse" than on a bula? Depends on your purpose, and your cost on the components.
Either way, the consensus is the receivers are an excellent starting point for anyone.

My favorite: "The stocks are crap...". Dealbreaker for sure, because where could you ever get an inexpensive replacement? :-)

JH
Old 07-29-2018, 03:06 PM

I wouldn't.

Why?

Metric. You know, parts and possible fitment/compatibility issues with replacement GI parts. I've forgotten which parts in particular. But, try reading the forum at: m14forum.com

Say it this way. I'd look for a used SAI before I went that route.

Then.....just a couple of months ago (May 2018), I got a JRA for $1000 used (off a local internet forum sight) with five good CMI magazines. And five mags that won't even rock into the JRA or my SAI. But, the seller did warn me about them prior to the sale (?Pro Mags?). He said I could try working on the latch fitment on the mags. Then, the followers are cheaply made. No Problem, I'll probably be cannibalizing them for parts.

Granted that you don't see deals like that all that often. But, sometimes you do find them.

Aloha, Mark

Last edited by ma96782; 07-29-2018 at 06:57 PM.