Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2017, 10:54 AM

Spare M14 parts have a tendency to turn into complete rifles. At least around here they do. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's a tendency you should be aware of.

Yep. That is how I ended up with my Fulton armory build. Glad I did it. Excellent and accurate rifle.

Rich
Old 12-08-2017, 06:15 PM

Bolt parts, a spare op rod spring, and several spare magazines will keep you covered for a very long time. A spent 3006 brass cartridge is useful as a bolt disassembly tool to change out an extractor, ejector, etc. Insert the cartridge into the chamber and let the bolt close over the rim while being held in place by the op rod spring pressure. Turn rifle upside down and look through magazine well at bottom of bolt. Push out extractor from bottom of the bolt and bolt is dissasembled. Assemble in reverse. Makes it easy if needed. http://www.windycitysourcing.com/ is a good source for parts as is http://www.treelinem14.com/M14-Parts_c6.htm

Last edited by bonnie; 12-08-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:19 PM

Thanks again for the good sound advice. I lucked out and got a NOS spare set of bolt internals for a great price. All that’s left is getting the rifle in my hands and putting some rounds down range. Worked up some loads to try out.

Best regards,
Casey
Old 12-11-2017, 06:14 PM

Here she is. Swapped out the dry commercial stock for this nice winchester stock I had for her.

Last edited by Big_Red; 12-11-2017 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Downsized giant pic
Old 12-13-2017, 10:04 AM

Get a cheap Korean mag, take out the follower and spring. Use this mag during dey fire practice in all positions.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YahooMarine View Post
Extractor and spring. Ejector spring. If you extractor fails you are dead in the water.

I have an SAI purchased in 2000 and a Fulton M14 build since 2013 and have fired thousands of rounds thru them. I did replace the SAI extractor with USGI long ago based on advice from this forum.

The only part ever to fail on either was the front sight screw on the Fulton which they replaced. However, it failed at the range and the sight walked off during a string of 5 shots. Now I also carry a spare front sight and a USGI screw.

Rich
This kind of stuff seems to only happen at Camp Perry....
Old 06-03-2018, 01:57 PM

Default What parts for emergency kit

I'm putting together a emergency maintenance kit for my M1A. I figured a firing pin , extractor with spring and plunger, ejector and spring and op rod spring. Is there anything else that might be needed? Eddie
Old 06-03-2018, 03:02 PM

You have pretty much listed the common parts folks tend to keep in their range bags.
But as Murphy would have it, it will be the uncommon parts to bite the dust first. Trigger group parts or a spare unit might be a reasonable addition along with a broken shell extractor.
Best bet is to keep a spare rifle close by just in case.

Semper Fi
Art
Old 06-03-2018, 04:59 PM

Tournequit and gauze. Not what you're looking for but often neglected by many range goers.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaliman View Post
Tournequit and gauze. Not what you're looking for but often neglected by many range goers.
I keep a first aid kit in my range bag. A hold over from my Boy Scout days. Be prepared.