Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2018, 05:16 PM

Default SA M1A Trigger Housing Group

Considering buying a late, 285*** serial number range. When I removed the trigger housing group to check it out, I noticed that the trigger guard closed back on housing. Unlike all the others I have ever seen, which stayed open, making it easier to reinstall. Had never see this before. Is this normal for late (2012) M1A Springfields? It reassembled fine, but had to hold the guard up to install. THX SKIP
Old 05-21-2018, 05:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

If it works like a MI trigger group, it helps to cock the hammer and then install. If uncocked the trigger guard wants to close. Don't have my M1A handy to check the TG.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:33 PM

That was it, did not lock like an M1 or normal M14 type trigger housing. I tried to pull it forward to lock it open, to cock it, but it did not. Not sure if this something new, or a fluke, it's not a USGI trigger housing group. Just curious, before I drop any cash. SKIP
Old 05-23-2018, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIPH View Post
I tried to pull it forward to lock it open, to cock it, but it did not.
If the hammer is not cocking, something may be way out of spec or broken. It needs some attention from a gunsmith.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:47 AM

Sounds like someone had the group apart and put it back together with the trigger guard cocking tab on the wrong side of the hammer. Either that, or the tab is broken off the trigger guard.

Semper Fi

Art
Old 05-23-2018, 08:54 AM

Something does not sound right. If you removed the trigger housing group after you cocked the rifle, the hammer should have stayed in the rear locked position and the trigger guard should stay loose.

You could call SAI Customer Service and ask them about it. I am assuming that this is a used rifle, so you do not know what has been done to it.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:58 PM

New in the box, unfired. But now I'm very hesitant about purchasing it. Thanks for the input. SKIP
Old 05-26-2018, 03:10 PM

Rechecked the rifle, insured it was cocked. Disassembled fine, trigger guard was OK. All is well.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:27 PM

Something I have had happen before on Garands when opening the trigger guard to remove the group from the stock... if you forget to cock the hammer sometimes the guard will rotate far enough to unlatch and pop out before the hammer is cocked. This also results in the guard closing as the hammer moves forward again. This is would be my guess as to what happened. Glad you got it sorted.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:46 PM

It is possible to open the TG enough to get the housing out without cocking the hammer, especially on loose fitting stocks.