Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2018, 04:28 PM

Default Unpublished M14 picture from Vietnam

Here is a picture that I got in Vietnam in 1971. Got in a round about way. These were not taken in my unit. I was assigned to the 79th Maintenance Battalion, an ordnance corps unit that processed equipment coming in from units that were standing down. This came with some other pics that had been left in equipment I believe from the 25th Infantry Division. I thought the pics were interesting and kept them. Only recently did I run across them while searching for something else.

The soldier appears to be sighting not through the Starlite scope but through the rear fixed sight and down the barrel. Because of the presence of a silencer, he can only estimate as there is no front sight.

I have no idea exactly which unit these soldiers were in. The other pics show members of a very undisciplined unit, not unusual in the field in 1971. No unit affiliation insignia may be seen in any of the pictures. Uniforms are varied and raggedy, some men are wearing cut-off shorts. They've got lots of guns.

Is that an earplug or a cigarette butt in the shooter's ear?
Old 06-05-2018, 05:35 PM

NM rifle?
Old 06-05-2018, 05:59 PM

Guard armed with M14 keeping watch over Soul Brothers hutch after the killing of DMLK.
Tense times for awhile.

Semper Fi
Art
Old 06-05-2018, 09:08 PM

Hooded aperture....
Old 06-06-2018, 03:58 AM

Here are a couple more from this same set that I scanned yesterday. I'm not sure the activity going on, either a unit weapons check or a mad minute. But no cover and lots of trash laying around, probably not the latter.

The roll film that these were printed from was improperly processed, very washed out with no b/w definition, all gray. The "auto edit" feature on the computer worked miracles for them but doesn't correct scratched negs.

I believe the soldier walking away from the camera in the upper left of the lower picture is the same one who was firing the M14. The small Asian man in the upper center of the picture looks like Vietnamese, maybe a Chieu Hoi scout.
In both of these, note the condition of the uniforms, mix of some civilian garments, non-regulation hair length, long sideburns, facial hair.

Piles of orders used to pass across my desk in the headquarters where I worked. One day, I noticed a name that I knew; it was that of a sergeant that I'd known at Fort Leonard Wood, Mo. before we both went to Vietnam. I'll call him Gene. I should add in his case, before his second tour. Anyway, He was assigned to the 919th Engineer Company, the engineers for the 11th ACR. I looked up where their orderly room was, put in a call and they got a message to him. A week or two later, he showed up for a visit at the HQ where I worked; he had a couple of other guys with him. They all looked pretty much like the guys in these pictures here. Gene was wearing what was left of jungle fatigue trousers, one leg unbloused, the other torn completely off at the knee if you can picture that. After these men had been there for a few minutes, the battalion commander (LTC Edward L. Phillips, now deceased), walked out of his office and encountered these field soldiers in his building. He took a long look at them, shook his head, didn't say a word, and walked back into his office.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:15 AM

Thanks for sharing these photos, they are fascinating.

In the first one, it looks like the solider is deliberately touching the op rod with his ring finger.

In the second photo, the M16 in the foreground has the sling going through the front sight base. Was that a common way to rig them?
Old 06-06-2018, 08:23 AM

No and No.
At least not for the Marine Corps.
The mess on the ground and the lack of a decent haircut would indicate Army occupation.

Semper Fi
Art
Old 06-06-2018, 09:00 AM

Great Pictures. Yes they are US Army. As things were drawing down certain things like hair cuts and shaving in the field lighten up some. The Army was having some issues at the time. However these men were there and on the ground fighting. I will not judge them by their hair length.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:15 AM

No judgement. Simple observations.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:11 PM

nf1e just curious on the policy for boot blousing