Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2018, 09:10 PM

Thanks to all who have responded. I have passed the info along to the owner. I had him send me pictures of the receiver because he indicated that the receiver was a Fulton Armory but was stamped as a Armscorp. After looking over the pictures, it looks like it was a Fulton Armory and the heal was ground down. After it was ground it was restamped. Anyone familiar with that? Found it pretty odd.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:10 PM

If you don’t know anyone local and don’t want to take a chance doing it yourself, send it to someone recommended in this thread. While not hard, and it can be done without proper tools, don’t take a chance on just anyone. Even gunsmiths mess up.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:58 AM

Having a ground down receiver heel and restamped sounds suspect. I would really check into that.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
This may offend purists, but any "gunsmith" or advanced hobbyist should be able to install and finish chamber a M1A barrel. No special tools required. Good Shooting. ..
Except a finish reamer, barrel vice and receiver wrench oh and head space gauges. Agree though itís not overly complicated.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuceguy View Post
If you donít know anyone local and donít want to take a chance doing it yourself, send it to someone recommended in this thread. While not hard, and it can be done without proper tools, donít take a chance on just anyone. Even gunsmiths mess up.
How can you do it with out proper tools? Typo ?
Old 07-18-2018, 08:25 PM

What is the going rate for spinning on barrels anyway?
Old 07-18-2018, 09:53 PM

For a bolt gun it is between $100 to $150 to install barrel and finish ream to headspace. I wouldn't think that a Garand or M1A would be much different.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:53 PM

OK--I'll play. Is a finish reamer a special tool?? How about a barrel vise, headspace gauges??? Are they special?? A M14/M1 receiver wrench is, I suppose. However, I had no difficulty improvising a better (generic) tool and never needed a special one for M1 or M14 receivers. I do use a bench vise to hold receivers in some cases and with the proper pads, it works fine. I guess the proper pads might be special....but they aren't very special. I generally leave this forum to the enthusiasts, but it's been fun. Good Shooting. ...
Old 07-18-2018, 10:01 PM

What kind of barrel is going to be put on? New or used?
Used USGI barrels can be kind of tricky due to dimension differences in receivers and possibly needing to ream a chrome chamber. Not many gunsmiths will want to ruin their reamers on a chrome lined chamber.