Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2018, 11:23 AM

Default Thoughts & Opinions on this Off Brand M14?

Made by James River using a supposedly forged receiver from Bula Defense, and Bula's barrel as well

https://www.classicfirearms.com/m14-...bula-parts-jra

Also, are Springfield's M14s made in MA, or?

Thx ... I'm in the market for a retirement gift :-)
May it rest in peace.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:04 PM

Bula Defense made parts and receivers are very good. At that price the rifle is a good buy. Springfield Armory Inc. M1A rifles are made in IL with many parts made in China and possibly some made in Korea. The original GI Springfield M14 was made in Springfield, MA.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Brown View Post
Bula Defense made parts and receivers are very good. At that price the rifle is a good buy. Springfield Armory Inc. M1A rifles are made in IL with many parts made in China and possibly some made in Korea. The original GI Springfield M14 was made in Springfield, MA.
Great, thanks for info, details
May it rest in peace.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:51 PM

Not an off brand at all.
Bula Defense Systems has been providing well made receivers and parts now for a few years and seem to find room to improve constantly.
James River Armory has been assembling the rifles and it has been keeping both companies busy.
I have a couple dozen Bula receivers used in builds with CMP parts kits and found not a single thing to complain about.
I used a bunch of LRB receivers previously and Bula's are equal or better in my opinion.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:53 PM
Banned

If you want to know about Bula Defence and about everything there is to know Go to your local Magazine store and pick up Firearms News ,June 2018 Issue 12 its a special M-14 Issue and has a huge story with pictures of Bula Defence manufacturing facility where they manufacture there M-14s and the whole story lots of great pics also Springfield and a few others on the M-14,But if you want to know all about Bula Defence buy that issue or at least read it in the store at Books a million like I do sometimes at the mall lol,But I bought this one its only $5.99 and has a wealth of info this issue on M-14,s
Old 06-27-2018, 11:12 AM

Look carefully at the s**t wood JR is installing on there M1A....I saw one first hand at the Oaks....I mentioned it to Hanover Arms, and he response is, that it is the way it comes....Get the Firearms New and look carefully at the stained hardwood....YMMV....regards....alex
Old 06-27-2018, 12:51 PM

I think the stocks are Boyd's Walnut similar to what other M14 suppliers are using with the exception of a wood handguard on the James River rifles.

Semper Fi
Art
Old 06-27-2018, 02:58 PM

no way are the JR stocks close in to the quality of a SA stock....For starters SA uses real black walnut....regards....alex
Old 06-27-2018, 08:57 PM

The stocks on the JRAs feel like my USGI Sacks stock. I’ve built a fair share of Bula’s rifles, they are excellent.
After feeling the various stock manufacturers, even with Garands, I just don’t make decisions on the rifle because of the stock. It just takes every bit of effort to not start cutting away at it and getting the epoxy out. LOL

Last edited by Deuceguy; 07-09-2018 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Spellcheck
Old 06-27-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC-7 View Post
Look carefully at the s**t wood JR is installing on there M1A....I saw one first hand at the Oaks....I mentioned it to Hanover Arms, and he response is, that it is the way it comes....Get the Firearms New and look carefully at the stained hardwood....YMMV....regards....alex
Ony SAI sells an M1A.
And with the M14 platform if you use stock quality to select a rifle you are surely missing the boat. M14 stocks are both plentiful and cheap.
JH