Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 06-28-2018, 08:59 AM
HC-7 HC-7 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SC Pa
Posts: 818
Default

Why is JR goin cheap on the wood?...I am looking for M 14 stocks, wood , 90% condition or better....What do have that is cheap.....regards....alex
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-28-2018, 02:25 PM
nf1e nf1e is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC-7 View Post
Why is JR goin cheap on the wood?...I am looking for M 14 stocks, wood , 90% condition or better....What do have that is cheap.....regards....alex
Not being an expert in what is available for new wood stock productions, I would just assume that James River has found a vendor that is capable of supplying stocks, in quantity, that are of acceptable consistency and quality for their newly assembled rifles.
It would be hard to believe that they are " goin cheap" as you suggest.
Having read quite a few reviews on their new rifles, yours is the first negative I have seen regarding their stocks.
The representations of their work that have been on display at Camp Perry, in the past, appear to be of excellent quality.

Semper Fi
Art
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-28-2018, 02:48 PM
Jakeroub Jakeroub is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Mass
Posts: 451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
Not being an expert in what is available for new wood stock productions, I would just assume that James River has found a vendor that is capable of supplying stocks, in quantity, that are of acceptable consistency and quality for their newly assembled rifles.
It would be hard to believe that they are " goin cheap" as you suggest.
Having read quite a few reviews on their new rifles, yours is the first negative I have seen regarding their stocks.
The representations of their work that have been on display at Camp Perry, in the past, appear to be of excellent quality.

Semper Fi
Art
If they wanted to go cheap they would be using hackberry- right?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-28-2018, 02:54 PM
HC-7 HC-7 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SC Pa
Posts: 818
Default

Hi Art, Upon your return from Perry I look forward to your review of the JR stocks....I went off on a rant because when I was at the Oaks show there was this older dude ( my age) that was giving a close look at the JR....I made the comment that he knew his way around an M-14....He said yeah he carried one in Vietnam....Here is a fellow Vet who got boned on the JR....That is why I am torqued....Why doesn't JR supply a stock that is above " acceptable consistency"....How about a stock that is superior to SA....What is wrong with that....Regards....alex
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-28-2018, 03:26 PM
nf1e nf1e is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC-7 View Post
Hi Art, Upon your return from Perry I look forward to your review of the JR stocks....I went off on a rant because when I was at the Oaks show there was this older dude ( my age) that was giving a close look at the JR....I made the comment that he knew his way around an M-14....He said yeah he carried one in Vietnam....Here is a fellow Vet who got boned on the JR....That is why I am torqued....Why doesn't JR supply a stock that is above " acceptable consistency"....How about a stock that is superior to SA....What is wrong with that....Regards....alex

All excellent questions to direct to James River and look for a response.
Any of the stocks I have seen on James River rifles that have been displayed in the past a Camp Perry were all way better looking that those I saw on M14s in Viet Nam. I wonder if your Vet friend might have had something else bothering him at the time. At any rate, I will be happy to take a look at this years offerings and report back. Enjoy your day.

Semper Fi
Art
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-28-2018, 04:20 PM
HC-7 HC-7 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SC Pa
Posts: 818
Default

Hi Art, You have a drop dead gorgeous collection of M1A's....Perhaps I can interest you in a trade....We could meet at Perry, I will purchase a JR....I will remove the JR stock, and I will trade you even up for your least desirable wood stock from you collection....Such a good trade between a bubble chaser and a tweet....Have a happy 4th....regards....alex
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-28-2018, 05:06 PM
nf1e nf1e is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,810
Default

Most of my stocks were from the CMP for 35 bucks each.
A dozen came with A kits.
If I wanted new production stock I would make the trade in a minute, but I do like the old used up stuff. I will be at Camp Perry 1 Aug. thru the 4th just in case you would like to meet up anyway. Somehow I think we could find a replacement that would meet with your approval on commercial row.

Semper Fi
Art
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-07-2018, 06:37 AM
mac1911 mac1911 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,699
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC-7 View Post
Hi Art, Upon your return from Perry I look forward to your review of the JR stocks....I went off on a rant because when I was at the Oaks show there was this older dude ( my age) that was giving a close look at the JR....I made the comment that he knew his way around an M-14....He said yeah he carried one in Vietnam....Here is a fellow Vet who got boned on the JR....That is why I am torqued....Why doesn't JR supply a stock that is above " acceptable consistency"....How about a stock that is superior to SA....What is wrong with that....Regards....alex
The problem is very few manufactures making wood stocks of "quality"
Seems like we are stuck with Boyds for the most part. For the M1 stocks you have Minelli ?
Wenig used to make rifle stocks but they never returned my phone call or email about M1 stocks.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-09-2018, 06:32 PM
HC-7 HC-7 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SC Pa
Posts: 818
Default

I was at a LGS, they had a new mfg Inland....The stock on that rifle is equal to the stock on a Springfield M1A that was its neighbor....regards....alex
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:34 PM.