Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2018, 10:04 AM

Ted and Art,
I have several M1A, M14, M21 and LR25/AR10 .308/7.62 auto loaders and none need small base die sized cases to function. I used small base dies back in the 70's with my first (L&H Gun/ Devine) M1A, but found I did not need them, and have not used them in decades. So, no issues with Springfield, Armscorp, Fulton. DPMS chambers, nor Anderson 308 AR barrels, or the ones rifles I've chambered myself (PTG reamer) in using standard dies. So, if anything, this setup is the exception and not the rule.
And for the record now, I believe the BULA headspace is closer to 1.636 or 1.637 as the bolt almost closes on the Forster field gauge. The headspace issue alone is a concern.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:15 AM

I am sure you will figure it out with the suggestions made in your thread.
There are so many variables going on here, my thought was to start with good commercial ammo and work on up from that point.
Good luck, with the help you have received things should start to percolate.
RVN 67-68
Old 07-19-2018, 12:55 PM

DougS-

I think Art's suggestion is a good one, at least for peace of mind and to narrow down the variables. Try a known good commercial cartridge. Perhaps you are the 'lucky' one but I and several guys I know have the Bula 22" NM barrels. All are tack-drivers and there are no issues.

I'm with you on the small base die issue. I'm using RCBS Competition dies (standard) and am getting as many or more reloads as people I know that use the small base dies. I have never had any issues that might indicate a need for a small base die. Ain't broke, so I don't plan on fixin' it.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
DougS-

I think Art's suggestion is a good one, at least for peace of mind and to narrow down the variables. Try a known good commercial cartridge. Perhaps you are the 'lucky' one but I and several guys I know have the Bula 22" NM barrels. All are tack-drivers and there are no issues.

I'm with you on the small base die issue. I'm using RCBS Competition dies (standard) and am getting as many or more reloads as people I know that use the small base dies. I have never had any issues that might indicate a need for a small base die. Ain't broke, so I don't plan on fixin' it.
Mountain, the barreled receiver went back to Bula. While the chambering issue is still not resolved as to cause, the headspace was in the neighborhood of 1.636 or 1.637. The bolt closed on my .308 No/Go at 1.634, and was close to close to on the field at 1.638.
As the original issue, I have to believe the base diameter of the chamber was at minimum and my standard dies were not. Odd thing is my trim die would size a case smaller than the standard sizer would. I have an open question to RCBS about this disparity in their dies.

As stated earlier, no other 308/7.62 semi auto I own had issue with cases from the standard die, and I'm not planning on loading special ammo for one exception.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:51 AM

My suggestion for anyone that believes they may have a problem that is either chamber or ammo related is to pick up a Sheridan split side chamber guage and see for yourself what is going on with your ammo. Not cheap , but will convince most that the problems is often with the reloading process. In this photo, we were having a problem with extraction using Malaysian ammo. Look carefully and you will notice the bulge in the neck of the case caused by an overly aggressive crimp. These guages replicate a match chamber. When testing ammo, it should drop in and drop out with ease or something needs to be altered.

RVN 67-68

Last edited by nf1e; 07-25-2018 at 04:58 AM.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
Mountain, the barreled receiver went back to Bula. While the chambering issue is still not resolved as to cause, the headspace was in the neighborhood of 1.636 or 1.637. The bolt closed on my .308 No/Go at 1.634, and was close to close to on the field at 1.638.
As the original issue, I have to believe the base diameter of the chamber was at minimum and my standard dies were not. Odd thing is my trim die would size a case smaller than the standard sizer would. I have an open question to RCBS about this disparity in their dies.

As stated earlier, no other 308/7.62 semi auto I own had issue with cases from the standard die, and I'm not planning on loading special ammo for one exception.
Standard chamber for Bula is between a .308 and a 7.62, so without special instructions they will ship a chamber that is slightly tight for 7.62 and slightly generous for a .308. I don't recall the specs for a 7.62 no-go, but it's probably pretty close to a .308 field. An armorer friend was skeptical of this for match shooting, but it's been perfectly accurate for me and I can use 7.62 in a pinch. Next time, however, I'll order the chamber with a little meat for said friend to finish to a match .308 spec.

Good luck with the fix- hope to see you posting target pics soon.