Go Back   CMP Forums > Marketplace > Parts For Sale or Trade > Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2010, 06:49 PM

Default WTS: USSR Service Rifle Stain (NY)

A recent purchase of a woodless rack grade M1 Garand, led me to the purchase of a used stock and a subsequent stock refinishing project. Now, I had seen the results of countless do-it-yourself projects on the forums using various methods, and the results while nice (for a sporting rifle), did not match the way they came originally or from an U.S. arsenal rebuild. Since I have a new, unissued Smith-Corona 03-A3 and a 1980’s DCM supplied, 1960’s Anniston rebuild M1 Garand, I knew exactly the way a U.S. service rifle stock should look. So, I played chemist until I had the exact formulation to produce the deep, rich coloration found on original service rifle stocks. My stain is oil-based, and sets the stock up to receive whatever finish you prefer to use. I’ll let you guys fight the BLO vs. Tung oil battle, and will only say that I used BLO. Here are the results on walnut:

As a result of the positive feedback that I have received from several people who have tried it, I will now be offering it for sale. I am not a high volume business, just a shooter with a good product to offer to fellow service rifle shooters. The stain comes in a .5 oz. bottle, which should be enough for 1 Garand stock, and perhaps 2 Carbine stocks. The price for one bottle is $9.95, and two bottles is $17.95. Shipping is (EDIT: Due to the Post Office's recent price increase, I have had to change my shipping charge to $3.00 in the continental U.S. - making for a total of $12.95 for 1 bottle and $20.95 for 2 bottles), and it is shipped in a bubble mailer with delivery confirmation. New York State residents need to add 8% to the total price for NYS sales tax. Payment method should be money order (my address is below) or PayPal (my account is my email address: ussr 'insert AT symbol' empacc.net). I thank you for your interest in USSR, the Ultimate Stain for Service Rifles.

Sincerely,

Don Kakretz

USSR
P.O. Box 722
Burdett, NY 14818

Last edited by USSR; 05-16-2014 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Lost pics for some reason.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:34 AM

Looks real good! I sent you payment for 2 bottles last night since I want to re-do my CMP stock over the Winter.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:02 PM

I purchased a bottle of dye from USSR to refinish my Carbine. The dye gave a uniform color on the stock and handguard and turned out great. A little lighter colored than other rifles I have seen that used the dye but nice enough that I am happy with it. I read in another post that some buyer was able to coat 4 carbine stocks with one bottle. I guess it could be true if you only use a light coat but I used the whole darn bottle on one stock. Very happy with the results.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:25 PM

Thanks for your kind words, Mac Attack.

bubbasuwannee,

Your order will be shipping on Monday. Thanks for your business.

Don
Old 10-30-2010, 11:12 PM

Looking forward to it, thanks!
Old 01-28-2011, 07:57 PM

do you 'cut' the stain with mineral spirits or use some kind of 'delievery system', or just rub it in sparingly?

Does it work right out of the bottle on a new CMP birch or walnut replacement stock, or do you need to sand them down first?

btw, I just ordered 2 bottles

Last edited by FiftyCalAl; 01-29-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:04 PM

FiftyCalAl,

You just apply it directly from the bottle with a cloth. No reason why you couldn't thin it out with mineral spirits, however.

Don
Old 02-19-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiftyCalAl View Post
do you 'cut' the stain with mineral spirits or use some kind of 'delievery system', or just rub it in sparingly?

Does it work right out of the bottle on a new CMP birch or walnut replacement stock, or do you need to sand them down first?

btw, I just ordered 2 bottles

As with any stain you may have to do prepwork first. I would strip any finish first.
I have used this stain multiple times on stripped clean wood and always been pleased with the results.
You will be surprised how far the stain goes.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:13 PM

Thanks for your advice and positive feedback, Orlando.

Don
Old 02-26-2011, 09:26 AM

I'm totally ignorant here, but does a stain like this help bring out very light cartouches on an unstained stock? I'm trying to learn.