Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2014, 10:03 AM

Default Rockcola M14 semi any Good?

I keep hearing these are better than Springfields.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:26 AM
Banned

Yes, they are in my opinion.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:58 PM

They sure are.
On a par with LRB and more cost effective.

Semper Fi
Art
Old 09-01-2014, 02:50 PM

I bought one at Perry and I love it!

Much better than my Springfield National Match.

John
Old 09-01-2014, 03:45 PM

What makes them "better"
Old 09-01-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloreman View Post
What makes them "better"
You can say theyre forged. Otherwise, functionally I dont know?
Old 09-03-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
You can say theyre forged. Otherwise, functionally I dont know?
Agree with that. EVERYONE has an opinion. If you have a problem with an SAI rifle they take care of it. Who else offers a warranty like that. LIFETIME. Personally I love the preban 5 line receivers. I don't like the new laser etching etc going on. That to me is far from what an original M14 receiver looked like. So u know I'm not bashing anyone and its MY opinion. Some like certain ones because they are easy to build on. There are some nice receivers out there, go with what YOU like!
Old 09-03-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags2161 View Post
Agree with that. EVERYONE has an opinion. If you have a problem with an SAI rifle they take care of it. Who else offers a warranty like that. LIFETIME. Personally I love the preban 5 line receivers. I don't like the new laser etching etc going on. That to me is far from what an original M14 receiver looked like. So u know I'm not bashing anyone and its MY opinion. Some like certain ones because they are easy to build on. There are some nice receivers out there, go with what YOU like!
Are you referring to the new typestyle on the receiver heel that is a style with serifs? If so, I really don't like that either. Well, Springfield Armory may have a lifetime warranty, but there is a really great chance that you will need it. I have three our four of their M1A products, whether they be receiver or full rifle at this moment. I don't know if a single one of them HASN'T had warranty issues, but in a lot of cases, I have dealt with it myself. Based on the kind of work I have seen, I don't want them fixing it unless it is unavoidable. I really don't like sending them back to also possibly get some new problem while an old one is fixed, or attempted to be fixed. I'd rather buy from a company that has NO warranty, but gets things correct.

Danny

Harrington &Richardson 5,549,399.

I would drive right past the CMP "shoots" at Camp Perry to attend the National Matches.
"REPO" M1 Parts: The parts that you buy that they come to take back later on.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloreman View Post
What makes them "better"

Casting cannot obtain the strengthening effects of hot and cold working. Whether open or closed die forging is used, the forging process surpasses casting in predictable strength properties - producing superior strength that is assured, part to part.

A casting has neither grain flow nor directional strength and the process cannot prevent formation of certain metallurgical defects. Preworking forge stock produces a grain flow oriented in directions requiring maximum strength. Dendritic structures, alloy segregations and like imperfections are refined in forging.

Casting defects occur in a variety of forms. Because hot forging refines grain pattern and imparts high strength, ductility and resistance properties, forged products are more reliable. And they are manufactured without the added costs for tighter process controls and inspection that are required for casting vs forging.

Better response to heat treatment. Castings require close control of melting and cooling processes because alloy segregation may occur. This results in non-uniform heat-treatment response that can affect straightness of finished parts. Forgings respond more predictably to heat treatment and offer better dimensional stability.

Some castings, such as special performance castings, require expensive materials and process controls, and longer lead times. Open die forgings are examples of forging processes that adapt to various production run lengths and enable shortened lead times.

In answer to the OP. The Rockola receivers are pretty good. There are still some defects that are not corrected yet, but can be built by someone that knows what to look for and how to correct them.

The primary and most difficult to fix is the right bolt lug window radius is off in the front bottom and is not cut wide or deep enough to allow the bolt to close to full battery condition. You can clearly see it in OD#3 post in the pictures forum.

His is hitting there and is shiny. It is also stopping his bolt from locking fully into battery. A g.i. bolt will not lock in and the Rockola bolts will lock in, so there is a dimensional difference between them and a g.i. bolt in this fitted radius area.

It is not a high impact area or worry for hardness issues though. The bolt's right lug front, upon returning from rearward, hits higher on the back of the barrel ring, then settles into this radius area, thankfully. But the impact is only what an op rod spring can generate. But enough tiny taps will do damage. So you can work it out to the right spec to fit a g.i. bolt, without harming the integrity of the receiver. Just stay low in the radius area only and feather it out both ways. Of course you will have to repark it or touch up with cold blue to hide your work.

The next is the shelf the right lug sits on when in battery. There are humps in every single Rockola I have seen and worked on to date. This also inhibits the bolt from achieving full battery condition.

Third is humps in the rear receiver heel and the bolt's curved arc raceway. Just in front of the spot face heel cut about 1/2" to 3/4" or so, and a few burrs occasionally in the faced cut.

Fourth is the bolt roller impact area relief is not centered under the right lug window. Once you correct the radius previously mentioned, the impact relief cut is off center. But it is off center regardless if fixed or not. It needs to be moved where it belongs and I forgot to mention this one to the owner.

There is a few more small things, but nothing insurmountable. Just make sure you have a good armorer build it for you.

Once these are corrected, the Rockola is good to go in my opinion. I spoke with the owner of Bula Forge about all of these issues and he is on it now. I'm most impressed that somebody has "finally" gotten the locking lug locations and the barrel ring length correct in an M14 type commercial receiver.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14 View Post
Casting cannot obtain the strengthening effects of hot and cold working. Whether open or closed die forging is used, the forging process surpasses casting in predictable strength properties - producing superior strength that is assured, part to part.

A casting has neither grain flow nor directional strength and the process cannot prevent formation of certain metallurgical defects. Preworking forge stock produces a grain flow oriented in directions requiring maximum strength. Dendritic structures, alloy segregations and like imperfections are refined in forging.

Casting defects occur in a variety of forms. Because hot forging refines grain pattern and imparts high strength, ductility and resistance properties, forged products are more reliable. And they are manufactured without the added costs for tighter process controls and inspection that are required for casting vs forging.

Better response to heat treatment. Castings require close control of melting and cooling processes because alloy segregation may occur. This results in non-uniform heat-treatment response that can affect straightness of finished parts. Forgings respond more predictably to heat treatment and offer better dimensional stability.

Some castings, such as special performance castings, require expensive materials and process controls, and longer lead times. Open die forgings are examples of forging processes that adapt to various production run lengths and enable shortened lead times.

In answer to the OP. The Rockola receivers are pretty good. There are still some defects that are not corrected yet, but can be built by someone that knows what to look for and how to correct them.

The primary and most difficult to fix is the right bolt lug window radius is off in the front bottom and is not cut wide or deep enough to allow the bolt to close to full battery condition. You can clearly see it in OD#3 post in the pictures forum.

His is hitting there and is shiny. It is also stopping his bolt from locking fully into battery. A g.i. bolt will not lock in and the Rockola bolts will lock in, so there is a dimensional difference between them and a g.i. bolt in this fitted radius area.

It is not a high impact area or worry for hardness issues though. The bolt's right lug front, upon returning from rearward, hits higher on the back of the barrel ring, then settles into this radius area, thankfully. But the impact is only what an op rod spring can generate. But enough tiny taps will do damage. So you can work it out to the right spec to fit a g.i. bolt, without harming the integrity of the receiver. Just stay low in the radius area only and feather it out both ways. Of course you will have to repark it or touch up with cold blue to hide your work.

The next is the shelf the right lug sits on when in battery. There are humps in every single Rockola I have seen and worked on to date. This also inhibits the bolt from achieving full battery condition.

Third is humps in the rear receiver heel and the bolt's curved arc raceway. Just in front of the spot face heel cut about 1/2" to 3/4" or so, and a few burrs occasionally in the faced cut.

Fourth is the bolt roller impact area relief is not centered under the right lug window. Once you correct the radius previously mentioned, the impact relief cut is off center. But it is off center regardless if fixed or not. It needs to be moved where it belongs and I forgot to mention this one to the owner.

There is a few more small things, but nothing insurmountable. Just make sure you have a good armorer build it for you.

Once these are corrected, the Rockola is good to go in my opinion. I spoke with the owner of Bula Forge about all of these issues and he is on it now. I'm most impressed that somebody has "finally" gotten the locking lug locations and the barrel ring length correct in an M14 type commercial receiver.
thanks for this detailed analysis. any thoughts on potential problem spots of lrb receivers/do you have a similar list?