Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2018, 10:52 PM

Default Help with 1903 receiver marks

Hello:
I picked up a Remington 1903 serial 3220351 with a early Fecker target scope installed. Looking at the receiver top there appears to be heat mark scars which appear to be only on the left side. I am thinking these occurred during the drill and tap procedure or perhaps (less likely) if the scope base also was soldered, the scope base is screwed in place. I have never seen markings like this, does anyone have thoughts regarding? Also is there an opinion whether this would affect the integrity of the receiver hardness? I would appreciate any help.

https://imgur.com/a/4OKQx
Old 03-09-2018, 03:40 AM

The gunsmith used a torch to anneal (soften) the metal where he was going to drill. He clearly heated a larger area than necessary. It absolutely effects the receiver hardness.

The question is- is it safe to shoot? For that question, I do not have an answer...

There are some who will not shoot a recovered drill 1903a3 because of fear that the welding heat had created dangerously softened areas of the receiver. A recovered drill receiver will have much less evidence of heating than yours.

Last edited by Jakeroub; 03-09-2018 at 03:44 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:05 PM

if in doubt about the hardness of the receiver, take it to a machine shop and have the hardness in the locking area tested. they have a Rockwell tester that can give the information that you need. shouldn't be too expensive, but then again, what is your face worth?
Old 03-09-2018, 09:28 PM

Great feedback and suggestion, thank you all.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xroads View Post
if in doubt about the hardness of the receiver, take it to a machine shop and have the hardness in the locking area tested. they have a Rockwell tester that can give the information that you need. shouldn't be too expensive, but then again, what is your face worth?
Iím not sure how easy that will be. If I remember correctly, hardness testing needs to be done on a flat surface. Doing it on a non-flat surface requires a correction factor, but I donít recall how that is obtained.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:12 PM

likely heated to make it easier to drill and tap.
that much heat is not needed to solder the bases in place.