Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2018, 06:35 PM

Default Need help understanding

Hello everyone. I’m new to the AR world when it comes to competing. I have a RRA NM A2 rifle. It has weights in the stock and hand guard. What matches in CMP is this rifle legal to shoot in? I get confused when reading the rule book on what “in competition” and “out of competition” means as far as how you are scored. Thanks for the insight.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:34 PM

CMP EIC matches. Also NRA matches in service rifle class (they often do not have enough entries to separate classes, so you will shoot aggregate with match rifles).

Most clubs that run a modern military match will let you shoot, but "out of competition". Basically means you will not be eligible for any awards.

Others will likely chime in with more options, these are the ones available where I live.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:38 PM

Your rifle is a competition service rifle as in National Match(service rifle) course of fire.It's not legal for games matches.Legal for NTI, NTIT, Hearst Doubles,EIC matches.Not legal for Modern Military.

Last edited by VALKRIDER; 03-11-2018 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:42 PM

If I'm not mistaken, as of 2018 the CMP has created an Unlimited Modern Military category for rifles like this to legally compete in CMP GSVM Matches. Just like a NM M1 can compete in Unlimited M1 along with .308, etc.... with there own scoring requirements and awards for achievement levels of Bronze/Silver/Gold attained in a sanctioned CMP match.

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor
Old 03-12-2018, 12:01 AM

There are no changes in the 2018 Games Rules Book, Modern Military match sections....no Modern Military unlimited class. It is generally possible to fire noncompliant rifles "out of competition" or "not for record" in most matches and rule enforcement is often sadly inconsistent. Best solution (IMO) is to know the rules, take a rifle that is clearly legal and try not to let the shenanigans bother you. Good Shooting. ...
Old 03-12-2018, 11:13 PM

http://rs1250.pbsrc.com/albums/hh527...h=480&fit=clip

My 15yr old son won this plaque along with the Leg metals at Camp Perry last year during the National Matches

Last edited by cdjer; 03-12-2018 at 11:17 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdjer View Post

My 15yr old son won this plaque along with the Leg metals at Camp Perry last year during the National Matches
The directors of our monthly matches here in Oklahoma award pins and medals when we hold GSMM matches for Unlimited Modern Military along with the other rifle classes, we do shoot XTC more than GSMM
Good Shooting, Jason
Old 03-13-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdjer View Post

Congrats to your son, well done! Do you mind sharing his rifle configuration?

thanks,
Keith Schachle

EDIT....EDIT.....EDIT

From the Comp Tracker for 2018 Nationals:

Modern Military Match, 2 August (55MODA, 55MODJ) $45.00 $25.00
CMP Modern Military Rifle Match fired on THURSDAY 2 August. Semi-automatic military rifles of U. S. or foreign manufacture or commercial rifles of the same type and caliber or commercial variations of military-type rifles may be fired. There are two categories of Modern Military Rifles. Competitors may fire a rifle from either the Modern Military Class A or Class B. We will use the 30-shot As-Issued Military Course of fire. Please see the current edition of the CMP Games Rulebook for more information.

Keith Schachle

Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2287
NRA XTC Service Rifle- High Master
NRA Midrange - High Master
CMP XTC Service Rifle - Master
CMP Master Instructor
Almost Perfect Attendance in the 3rd grade

Last edited by Kilo-Sierra; 03-13-2018 at 08:42 AM. Reason: found more info that might help
Old 03-13-2018, 09:33 AM

Yes, there are two classes for MM, but neither is "unlimited". Local clubs have been doing whatever they choose forever. Some don't understand the CMP rules and some don't care, modifying matches to suit their own wishes. I heard a reliable report of one club that took the best five OH shots and doubled them to make their members look better. No cure for that distain for the rules. It doesn't help that CMP won't address the issues regarding the MM rules. Good Shooting. ..
Old 03-13-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
Yes, there are two classes for MM, but neither is "unlimited". Local clubs have been doing whatever they choose forever. Some don't understand the CMP rules and some don't care, modifying matches to suit their own wishes. I heard a reliable report of one club that took the best five OH shots and doubled them to make their members look better. No cure for that distain for the rules. It doesn't help that CMP won't address the issues regarding the MM rules. Good Shooting. ..

"I heard a reliable report of one club that took the best five OH shots and doubled them to make their members look better." WTF??? Why not just take the first "X" on each string and multiply that times 10? Everyone could have a 300-30x and REALLY impress folks. I not a big fan of clubs straying from the rules. Also not a fan of not know what the rules actually ARE!

Keith Schachle

Keith Schachle

Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2287
NRA XTC Service Rifle- High Master
NRA Midrange - High Master
CMP XTC Service Rifle - Master
CMP Master Instructor
Almost Perfect Attendance in the 3rd grade

Last edited by Kilo-Sierra; 03-13-2018 at 09:48 AM.