Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2018, 08:43 PM

Rob, that rifle is gorgeous! I nearly bought it Friday morning myself, but grabbed the 6 digit WRA next to it instead, very pleased with it so far! For what itís worth I too did not get a certificate so I will be requesting one too... glad to see itís not just me whoís had that happen. Enjoy that rifle!

Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob30-06 View Post
Guys,

I for one am glad the CMP lifted the purchase limits on the IHCs and WRAs. Not so much because I need more of them but mostly because that is what the store is making available so there will be something I can shop for

I would not mind walking in and finding SA & HRA in the racks but that is not what the current offerings have.

Do not take me wrong. I am happy to just be able to paw through whatever they have looking for something of interest.

The store was mostly full of IHC Field Grades so I went thru the offering quickly looking for a 444 serial number, but no joy.

There was a young man next to me also looking that asked me what he needed to look for. Well, that set my search in a new direction. Turns out he really just wanted a nice shooting rifle and since they main offering was IHC, that is what we went looking for.

First thing is a fast check for rifles with something under a 3ME. We quickly found two that fit the bill. Both were wearing nice colored SA wood, though one showed the remains of the 1/2" DAS and the other did not. The one with the 1/2" DAS had a marginally better bore and ME than the other so he went home with that one. This looked to be a Turkish return due to what I have come to expect from the finish color, but I am not 100% certain.

I went thru the slings for a friend and also picked up a couple 1923 belts for a couple friends, but did not find a rifle I wanted to take with me.

All was not lost, though.

I had seen in a previous posting that Tom reported a WRA with an A in the serial number at the TMP store. I checked and was told that though the store was closed you could request to see the rifles, so we loaded up and headed to see what they had.

Long story just a tad bit shorter, the WRA was still at the TMP store.

This really blew me away because IMO it is an outstanding rifle and one with some interest to it. It was a field grade with 3+ME/3+TE, though my gauge showed less than 3 on the ME. I will call it a 2++/ Bore is clean and muzzle looks good.

This rifle looks to have never seen anything but US soil and was clean as a pin with the receiver showing what I believe is original finish. The barrel is SA ('47) and the breech is white. The stock is a real nice brownish Birch with nice subtle figure and hand guards match pretty well. Rebuilt for sure but I am thinking not at a major arsenal.

It had one of the Inventory Barcode Serial Tags you see on rifles from the DoD, which I also think of a real cool, so I asked that it NOT be removed.

Enough talk, maybe a few pictures will do you some good.

The money shot of the receiver heel and the hand-applied A

The inventory hang tag

All in all a good day for me.

For some reason I did not get a Certificate with this rifle. Maybe that is the way it works if you purchase from the TMP store. I will contact Customer Service to see if something needs to be done.

I think a cert is extra important if you have something weird like an A in the serial number. Sorta like proof that you did not add the A yourself if you know what I mean.

Moral of the above is, don't overlook the stock of rifles at the TMP store. You never know what they might have.

I also saw a WRA SG SA rebuild in the rack that was as proper as it could be. Nice and clean and wearing a properly marked SA rebuild Birch stock.

I liked it but already been there and done that so left it for someone else to get.

There were other nice rilfes that I will probably be thinking about over the next few weeks wondering why I did not buy them.

Oh well, gotta leave something for next time

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2018, 08:06 PM

Range store?....could someone enlighten me as to what this exactly is? Do they sell rifles, ammo, and other items as well? Since I can't make it to Knob Creek KY next month, I'm planning a quick trip over to the South Store, sorta looking or a WRA in decent shape. I know the odds are stacked against me, but you have to wish big! Thanks for any info in advance as well.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T18B40 View Post
Range store?....could someone enlighten me as to what this exactly is? Do they sell rifles, ammo, and other items as well? Since I can't make it to Knob Creek KY next month, I'm planning a quick trip over to the South Store, sorta looking or a WRA in decent shape. I know the odds are stacked against me, but you have to wish big! Thanks for any info in advance as well.
The Talladega Range has/had a Creedmoore store inside the main building. This store also sold a selection of CMP rifles. The store closed down recently but the CMP rifles are still there and if you ask one of the lovely ladies at the check-in counter of the range to see/purchase the rifles they will let you into the former store to browse the rifles and buy one. They had a few WRA's, I just bought a 125,xxx serial number WRA there last Friday. They open at 9:00am so I recommend going to the South store at 7:45 or so for the 8:00am opening, and if you don't find anything hop in the car and head to Talladega and you'll get there around opening. For What it's worth I also bought another WRA at the south store that same morning.

Good luck!
Old 03-13-2018, 09:37 AM

Smile I could not believe it was till there after a week

Jamie,
Thanks, it is very nice.
I don't believe there was any way you could have bought it. I really think it was destined to belong to me
And you know you can't mess with destiney

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Rob, that rifle is gorgeous! I nearly bought it Friday morning myself, but grabbed the 6 digit WRA next to it instead, very pleased with it so far! For what itís worth I too did not get a certificate so I will be requesting one too... glad to see itís not just me whoís had that happen. Enjoy that rifle!

Jamie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2018, 09:41 AM

Rob, absolutely gorgeous rifle! What a great value! Glad you found something.

Tom as always, thanks for the reports!
Old 03-13-2018, 04:06 PM

That's very true Rob! I found a WRA in the South store that I fell in love with and it's funny because according to Tom it wasn't there at closing the day before, but a WRA is what I was wishing for, and I left Alabama with two! Can't mess with destiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob30-06 View Post
Jamie,
Thanks, it is very nice.
I don't believe there was any way you could have bought it. I really think it was destined to belong to me
And you know you can't mess with destiney

Rob
Old 03-13-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
The Talladega Range has/had a Creedmoore store inside the main building. This store also sold a selection of CMP rifles. The store closed down recently but the CMP rifles are still there and if you ask one of the lovely ladies at the check-in counter of the range to see/purchase the rifles they will let you into the former store to browse the rifles and buy one. They had a few WRA's, I just bought a 125,xxx serial number WRA there last Friday. They open at 9:00am so I recommend going to the South store at 7:45 or so for the 8:00am opening, and if you don't find anything hop in the car and head to Talladega and you'll get there around opening. For What it's worth I also bought another WRA at the south store that same morning.

Good luck!
Thank you my friend, I learned something today and I'll definitely keep it in mind. My first M1 was a Winchester, back in 1984, for $165 from the DCM! I traded it for a HK-91, and I've regretted it ever since.