Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14 View Post
Yep, the walnut is rare and hard to find. Here's one I ventilated and already had a crack at 12:00 o'clock just in front of the barrel ring from someone trying to snap it on like a fiberglass one.

If I'm not mistaken, Petrolero owns this rifle now. I kept the stock and handguard because it was so much work, money couldn't buy it.
How did you repair the crack? I've got a 12:00 crack on my M1 front hand guard.

Yes, I know I could just go buy a new stock set or new front hand guard but I want to keep everything on it that came with it.

Firefighter
Highland VFD
Old 09-10-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordmm View Post
Great post with a lot of info to digest. Went over it all a couple of times but see no mention of your company and location which you probably forgot to mention. Agree with the outlook of giving those interested more options for parts and service.
They still haven't decided what to call it yet. I am under a non-disclosure agreement in any event, until they free me up to announce it.

We were trying to make it by October 4th this year and announce at the Gunsite Alumni Combat Rifle Match, and enter one of my new rifles in the match.

We figured it would be a good idea, especially if we won the match, because of all the type guys that are alumni at Gunsite and their connections to the firearms manufacturing world.

Still unknown if we will make it yet. We were also trying to make it by the Nationals at Camp Perry this year. You see how that went, ...no joy. These things are hard to make !....and make them right. I'll let everyone know when I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubhed View Post
How did you repair the crack? I've got a 12:00 crack on my M1 front hand guard.

Yes, I know I could just go buy a new stock set or new front hand guard but I want to keep everything on it that came with it.
Mine was miniscule and I was lucky enough to not be missing any chips or pieces from the crack. I closed it up and taped it shut so it would stay closed and made a wood dowel rod to match the inside curvature for it.

Then I hulled out a V groove in the crack from inside and going almost to the top, leaving a very thin veneer of wood on the surface. I then filled it with ten ton white epoxy from the back until level inside and placed wax paper over the repair and inserted the dowel, then taped it all together until dry.

When I took it all apart, I peeled off the paper inside and found a wide spot to sand out some walnut sawdust to use topside on the crack. I got some elmers woodworkers glue that dries clear and mixed with the sawdust and stain and forced it with my fingers into the crack area, leaving it raised slightly above the surrounding surface of the handguard.

I sanded it down level and sanded the rest lightly and applied an even coat of the stain to the whole handguard. Looks like new and you can't see any crack. It is stronger now than before. I actually snapped it on the last time to see if it would crack again. It didn't.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:35 PM

Ahh the good old receiver arguments.

I wish uncle sugar would let us have the rear H&R,WRA,TRW and SA receivers with disabled selectors.

Nah what fun would that be, we would be limited to arguing about what grease was best and if our rifle was "correct"
Old 09-10-2014, 02:45 PM

An argument is someone taking up a particular position on a given matter, where one person is trying to convince another, of their positions correctness. Once it has been proven with empirical evidence, it is then fact, and no longer a position or argument. I don't see anyone arguing. I have no position here and am not trying to convince anyone of anything. I merely stated the facts so they can come to their own conclusions.

Or as it was put in Monty Python, "An argument is a collective series of statements, leading to a definite proposition and conclusion."
Old 09-10-2014, 02:51 PM

That's just contradiction!!!

Old 09-11-2014, 02:27 PM

I just got off the phone with Bula Forge today and had a lengthy conversation with Jeff, the production manager and leader of the M14 project over there. I also spoke with the president of the company Mr. Phelps.

I heard a lot of good reports from Camp Perry when the rifle teams returned about these two individuals and the company in general. We got to the bottom of the few minor receiver issues left and identified them, and the proper way to proceed in fixing them.

Everyone that is an M14 fan can now rest assured that these receivers are the absolute best available. The pre-existing issues I wrote about have already been fixed with the exception of the right lug window radius and Jeff is making certain right now that all receivers are correct before shipping.

He was holding one in his hand as we spoke about it and he was able to see what was going on there and what I was talking about. He is no stranger himself to the M14, and has built several for himself.

This is what I call customer service. I relayed the same sentiments to him as I did here, that all I wanted was a receiver that anyone could build without a plethora of tools.

So in answer to the OP's question and another poster asking when they will be fixed with all issues, I consider it done. Kudos go to Bula Forge and Machine, Inc. and their entire staff......... Well done gentlemen !
Old 09-11-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
After all the destroyed cast receiver I have seen, the heels blown off, the pile of splinters left after one has let go, I think I will hand down drop hammer forged receivers to my Grandchildren.

Anyone that hasn't heard of an SAI receiver being destroyed is not listening very well.

Quote:
An argument is someone taking up a particular position on a given matter, where one person is trying to convince another, of their positions correctness. Once it has been proven with empirical evidence, it is then fact, and no longer a position or argument. I don't see anyone arguing. I have no position here and am not trying to convince anyone of anything. I merely stated the facts so they can come to their own conclusions.

Or as it was put in Monty Python, "An argument is a collective series of statements, leading to a definite proposition and conclusion."
As we're on the topic of argument and facts, would you mind providing a few more facts/details about all the "destroyed" cast receivers you've seen? Total number? Manufacturers (you appear to hint that the majority are SAI)? Suspected reason for failure? Approximate round count at time of failure?

Also, is it correct to assume from the first quoted statement above that you've never seen a "destroyed" drop forged receiver?

Thanks.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:35 PM
GSM Master Instructor

Quote:
Don't bother posting, any of you, that you never heard of anyone blowing up an LRB yet, I don't really care to hear it. All I'm saying is there is a reason for the g.i. spec location and measurement, and if they are going to claim they are the closest to g.i. you can get, they should build them that way....or quit claiming it. It is a safety issue. As it stands right now, Bula Forge's Rockola receiver is the closest to g.i. you can get, without a doubt.
This is reaching infomercial proportions now with all of these "ads"... I think the CMP should start charging you for your use of this forum for free advertising for your secret/as yet unnamed company.

Quote:
Maybe you should ask Bamban or Geeck or MineralMan55 about how good those so called "NM military" armorers really are. Strange that (NM armorer) builds keep turning up in my shop to be fixed.

While your point is well taken, you must consider as I wrote above, who will get the rifle next in line and will they be as confident. After all the destroyed cast receiver I have seen, the heels blown off, the pile of splinters left after one has let go, I think I will hand down drop hammer forged receivers to my Grandchildren.

Anyone that hasn't heard of an SAI receiver being destroyed is not listening very well.
A better question for Bamban is how many barrels he has shot out with his SAI M1A's, and how many terrible problems he's had with them?
OK, here's the silliness. Show us some pictures of your your vast experience with M1A receivers suffering catastrophic damage. Exactly how many was it? You can post them right here, because as you say, it should all be "should be open source and hugely public, otherwise, what's the point ?"

With that in mind, taking your statement about often repairing the work of NM Military Armorers... Man, you should tell us who the hacks are! Publicly! That would be a great service to all of us!

Quote:

So basically, anything YOU state is fact, and everyone else only has opinions, because you took measurements off of some receivers during some builds?

Speaking of "facts", did you ever figure out your problem you blamed on the ammo in this thread?
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=138473
or is everything you typed on that thread "FACT" too?

PS: Why is it that your don't pontificate on the M14 board about these revelations of yours and all of these discoveries/data points/knowledge base items?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
+1

Same self grandiosity crew here. Somehow the discussion always ends up the same, a game of which corner works for you.
Indeed.

Mike B
Old 09-11-2014, 08:51 PM

Old 09-11-2014, 11:46 PM

Damn...I thought that was going to be a link to an actual blown up SAI Receiver...I for one have owned many over the last 25-30 years and none of my have gone boom...

On the other hand, I've owned 2 Chinese forged receivers that couldn't keep the op rod in their channel if you super glued the damn thing in.

Earl

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloreman View Post