Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2010, 03:41 PM

Yippee! So my one bando of SL and three bando's of AYR 12-55 & 14-55 are all n/c. Sweet!
Old 06-21-2010, 04:15 PM

Hmmm, I have two cans of AYR 10. Don't recall the date offhand, 1955 or so I think.

Just how can one tell if they're corrosive primed or not?
Old 06-21-2010, 09:38 PM

My experience is exactly the same as Arcane's. I pulled bullets from over 1300 rounds of AYR 28. I pulled the bullets because of the reports about blown primers; bullets corroded to cases & clumped, caked powder. 95% of the bullets pull easily. I used a Forster collet type & had to resort a kinetic puller for just 5 rounds. I found only 6 bullets with verdigris, all very minor; none were corroded to the point of cementing bullet & case together. About 30-40% of the cases have noticeable corrosion - discoloration - on the inside. I think the cases are safe to use, especially since they are berdan primed & likely to be used just once. I sold most of the cases, believing them to be corrosive. Now that they are proving otherwise, I'll shoot the rest.

About 400 cases had powder stick to the inside after they were dumped & tapped on the press. 98% of that was removed with a scraper (end of a powder spoon) Perhaps 50 rounds had minor clumping that did not come out with tapping; 98% came out with scraping Perhaps 30 rounds had major clumping/caking where less than 10 gr of powder would dump & it took scraping to remove the rest.

All the powder was dumped into a jar until about 12 ounces accumulated. This allowed it to dry a bit. It was then dumped into a jug & flowed freely. The powder has the faint, sweet smell of good powder. I shot some in a .223 with good results & accuracy. I wouldn't hesitate to use the powder; I think it will be fine.

I'm not sure what made the powder clump. Reports here speculate about moisture intruding into the case; improper storage (heat & damp), etc. with several examples of very deteriorated cases, bullets & powder.

The average weight was 52.5 gr of what looks to be 4895; I will reload the powder & bullets into both the AYR & boxer primed cases, working up from 50.0 gr. & testing for accuracy
Old 06-21-2010, 10:10 PM

I've got 11 crates of the stuff. I think I'm going to pull the bullets and reload them. Then I can replace them with regular FMJ's. With the corrosion issue, I don't want to store the cases long term. Should be ok to fire them over the next couple of years, since they are berdan primed and only going to be used once.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:51 PM

Couple questions

Has anyone found any AYR that is corrosive???

Did anyone pull any of 50's USGI ammo and check for bullet corrosion, powder clumps etc??

Could some of those defects be found in any 60 year old ammo???

Has anyone else have case head separation and primer packets blow out like was mentioned in that earlier thread???
Old 06-27-2010, 10:11 AM

Smile

I got the same results as Kirk. Pulled down ayr 28 ammo and after drying the powder some and tumbling the cases (after knocking off stuck grains with Q-tip) reloaded them to 50 grns and they shoot VERY accurately. Garands do seem to love the heavier projectiles.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:22 AM

THose loading 50 grains of the powder....

Is this in the AYR cases... that dont show corrosion inside?

Ive had a head separation, a partial separation.
5% of the cases are corroded inside, of the 300 I pulled.

After firing lot 23, my barrel says its corrosive.

Last edited by jhud; 06-29-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:42 PM

jhud:

Why do you think it is corrosive did your barrel rust overnight? How bad was the verdigris in the cases? You may have had a bad lot that wasn't well sealed.

Just for giggles I checked the steel plate again and still no corrosion from my lot of AYR.

Last edited by HANDYMAN; 07-01-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:40 AM

Intentionally, I left my gun outside (under the carport) overnight after shooting the AYR. Rust was in the barrel the next day.

The intrior corrosion was bad enough on some I could not see the 2 primer holes. Chunks of green/blue stuff was stuck to the powder.

Hell, one of the cases partially blew the head through in 7 spots.

If I shoot any more of the factory loads it is with caution..
Old 07-02-2010, 06:17 PM

I'm reloading some of the AYR 28 as I type this to shoot tommorrow. I have been pulling the bullets and dumping the powder on a paper plate to dry a little then cleaning the inside of the cases of stuck grains with a cuetip. I then tumble them in some corncob (it's too large to get in the berdan holes) and recharge them with fifty grains. This bando here had one round that NONE of the powder just shook out. I had to poke the one and work it out. Very clumpy.