Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2016, 07:20 AM

People with skill like that always amaze me. That is outstanding.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:41 AM

Outstanding, however I want to know what "option of either filing a claim with the Postal Service and surrendering the broken rifle" means?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Participating in a gun buyback program because you think criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbor has too many kids.

I WAS the proud owner of 45+ 100% A+ ratings on the old itrader system.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:32 AM

This sort of thing doesn't happen too often so I'd cut the USPS some slack, but I might have put some pressure on the seller for not adequately packing the rifle. I would either asked for my money back and for him cover the cost of shipping, or for the seller to cover some cost of repair. Regardless of that, the repair work is outstanding especially when you consider the degree of damage.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:14 PM

horticattleman and S99VG:

I certainly did contact the seller, who has an established business in both FL and MA, and he claimed to have been shipping guns like this using the Postal Service for over 20 years and NEVER had a problem before. After consulting with some of his fellow dealers, he concluded that the long box containing the rifle got stuck in a sharp bend in a conveyor system, which eventually broke the stock even though the shipping box itself was almost unmarked. He refused to refund my money and told me to file a claim with the Postal Service.

So, I filled a claim with the USPS, which required me to provide pictures of the box and broken stock and proof of payment. I was then instructed to bring the box, shipping materials and the rifle to my local Post Office for inspection. The Postmaster was sympathetic with my situation and offered to approve my claim, but I would need to surrender the gun in exchange. He explained that it was like when you file a claim for a totaled car...you get the settlement amount but the insurance company (the Postal Service, in this case) then owns the car and can dispose of it any way they choose. I wasn't offered the option for a partial settlement.

Since the metal parts of the rifle (receiver, barrel, etc.) were fortunately undamaged, the thought of sending that 100+ year old rifle either to be destroyed or to be put in some crappy postal auction made me feel ill. Needless to say, I said I'd take my chances and try to get the stock repaired myself and walked out. Glad that I did!
Old 05-16-2016, 04:48 PM

I'm sorry to hear your story. The seller should have stood behind his wares from the time he sold the rifle up to the time you received it. I've had dealings with sellers who refuse to take responsibility for their shipping and think it stinks. If they don't like it then they should not be engaged in the mail order business. But in the end your stock did come out looking fantastic. Good job!
Old 05-16-2016, 07:27 PM

Wow, that's incredible.

My Feedback thread

Looking for SA M1 2417731 - its out there, the CMP sold it in 2012!
Old 05-16-2016, 07:46 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekaw View Post
horticattleman and S99VG:

I certainly did contact the seller, who has an established business in both FL and MA, and he claimed to have been shipping guns like this using the Postal Service for over 20 years and NEVER had a problem before. After consulting with some of his fellow dealers, he concluded that the long box containing the rifle got stuck in a sharp bend in a conveyor system, which eventually broke the stock even though the shipping box itself was almost unmarked. He refused to refund my money and told me to file a claim with the Postal Service.

So, I filled a claim with the USPS, which required me to provide pictures of the box and broken stock and proof of payment. I was then instructed to bring the box, shipping materials and the rifle to my local Post Office for inspection. The Postmaster was sympathetic with my situation and offered to approve my claim, but I would need to surrender the gun in exchange. He explained that it was like when you file a claim for a totaled car...you get the settlement amount but the insurance company (the Postal Service, in this case) then owns the car and can dispose of it any way they choose. I wasn't offered the option for a partial settlement.

Since the metal parts of the rifle (receiver, barrel, etc.) were fortunately undamaged, the thought of sending that 100+ year old rifle either to be destroyed or to be put in some crappy postal auction made me feel ill. Needless to say, I said I'd take my chances and try to get the stock repaired myself and walked out. Glad that I did!
Sparx, did a killer job! And its a shame you had too go threw what you did.

Q. Did you have the option of just surrendering the broken stock only or was it all or nothing?
Old 05-16-2016, 08:03 PM

That's a good question.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:48 PM

Basically, the insurance deal I was offered by the Postal Service was all or nothing...
Old 05-17-2016, 08:22 AM

I'm really scratching my head about this one.

Participating in a gun buyback program because you think criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbor has too many kids.

I WAS the proud owner of 45+ 100% A+ ratings on the old itrader system.