Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2017, 07:30 PM

I use obenauf's on all leather. Great product.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunya80 View Post
NEVER use Neatsfoot oil on leather - I've seen too many old treasures completely trashed by use of this junk. It has completely the wrong result on leather, destroying the cell structure of the hide & leading to quicker deterioration of the treated item.
Yesterday I returned an expensive Swede sniper sling to a customer. I thought the sling had been exposed to naked flames or severe heat...as parts were so stiff & dried out they looked cooked/baked. I knew this damage was recent as the sling showed an earlier repair that I'd done to it when the previous owner had sent it to me.
Got the present owner to check & the ONLY thing the previous guy had done was "treat" it with Neatsfoot. That sling is now 100% ruined & any stress on it will result in complete breakages as the leather is too dry & resisted all attempts at restoration!

Neatsfoot has VERY limited applications - as in - a new sling or belt MAY benefit from a one-time application when first made, i.e. used on new hide. The stuff is so easy to misuse it should be sold on licence to the trade only!
It pre-dates to the days of sailing ships & is just the rendered/boiled leg fat from cattle.

Suitable products to renovate older tired or damaged leather?
I used to use a British product called KoChoLine - sold in the US too I am told - but now use the US Fiebings branded items instead - their Aussie Leather conditioner is not bad & I also like their Mink Oil Paste.

I tend NOT to use Saddlesoap that much - the clue being in the name = it's SOAP
Saddlesoap is used as part of the cleaning regime - and you don't apply the soap itself, just the lather from it; and after the leather has dried, apply a hide food (from one of the types already mentioned above)

Happy to enlighten folk further if you have leather care questions as I'd rather see people keep items in use than have them not take any advice (or the wrong advice) & end up with a pile of dried up junk.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:52 AM

I have followed some of the other threads on this subject as well.
It seems the experts are now recommending 100% pure lanolin used sparingly. Makes sense to me, since it's a natural skin healing product.

Unfortunately, most of my leather is treated with Pecards already.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:47 AM

I have had good success using "Chelsea Dubbin Leatherfood" an English product. English Army been using it since 1890 and still recommend it.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:13 PM

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=211624
Old 09-04-2017, 07:40 PM

Effax leather oil. Find it in saddle and tack shops
Old 12-28-2017, 09:05 PM

Question

I do believe the Zoo used neatsfoot oil om Elephants.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:34 PM

Several years ago my son bought a new baseball glove and also got a can of Wilson Pro Stock Glove conditioner. All it says it contains is Vitamin E and Lanolin, so I finally got the nerve to used it on an M7 that I had, it was so dried out that I'm sure it would have broke if I flexed it. The Wilson conditioner restored the holster like new, I use the holster quite often now, no issues.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:16 PM

My Grandfather ran a shoe repair business for 35 years and knew leather. He was of the opinion that neatsfoot oil has no business around leather products. Period. It makes leather spongy and rots out the stitching. Saddle soap is OK. The white cream type conditioners are generally OK. Based on my own experience with saddles and tack, Lexol products are pretty good. Lay off the oil and grease.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:27 PM

I've had pretty good results with lanolin cream. It's found on the baby isle at drug and grocery stores.
- milsurpshooter