Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2017, 11:29 PM

Default Garand Food In California in 2018

As a Californian, in 2018 I will no longer be able to (directly) purchase 30-06 ammo from my favorite online suppliers.

I asked a local gun/ammo shop, and they said they were unwilling to accept an ammo shipment for me from out of state due to "Liability"???

I always try to support local businesses, but I haven't found anyone locally who sells Garand friendly ammo either.

Help!

Any suggestions, besides move out of state?
Old 11-28-2017, 12:00 AM

What about hand loading?
Old 11-28-2017, 01:39 AM

Thanks for the reply gentlemen.

Iíve been told going next door to Nevada to purchase ammo is a no no.

As of now, I have neither the knowledge nor equipment to reload, but this may seem to be a pretty wise thing to look into.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:21 AM

Reloading isn't hard to learn if you have an eye for detail and some minimal facility with tools. If you can cook you can learn to reload.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:08 AM

Re: OP. By all means purchase yourself a basic reloading outfit. The costs will be justified easily by the savings. Further you will be able to produce very good ammo that will better suit your own particular rifle. I have been reloading for my rifles for over 30 years. From the beginning to this date, it has never been at all a problem to figure out. Stick with the data found in actual books produced by actual reputable sources and you will be fine. Long before surplus M-2 was commonly available at decent prices, I reloaded for all my rifles very seldom buying a factory round. It was one of the very best decisions I ever made. Sincerely. bruce.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thj View Post
. . I’ve been told going next door to Nevada to purchase ammo is a no no. . .
Told by whom? Someone that stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, no doubt.

This is America. Don't answer any questions without legal counsel, am I free to go?

Just joking. . . mostly.

Last edited by Scout706; 11-28-2017 at 10:09 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 11-29-2017, 04:50 AM

My understanding of the new ammunition law is, you will still be able to travel to an out of state ammunition vendor to purchase ammo and bring it back home to California until June 30th 2019. After that date you can make the out of state purchase but the ammo will have to be shipped to a California vendor and transferred to you following a background check assuming you have the required California $50 certificate to purchase ammunition. My advice, start reloading ASAP. The information that I received was provided by the California Rifle and Pistol Association.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clip_Slot View Post
My understanding of the new ammunition law is, you will still be able to travel to an out of state ammunition vendor to purchase ammo and bring it back home to California until June 30th 2019. After that date you can make the out of state purchase but the ammo will have to be shipped to a California vendor and transferred to you following a background check assuming you have the required California $50 certificate to purchase ammunition. My advice, start reloading ASAP. The information that I received was provided by the California Rifle and Pistol Association.
This.

I too am stuck in CA. And remember there is an exit ramp just before the ag check station on I80. The ramp will take you to Teuckee and then you can jump back on 80. Careful though.. I saw 4 CHP waiting for a suspicious person doing that. So it 6 one way/ half dozen the other. I have never been asked anything at the ag station so unless you look shady they should leave you alone. Also never mention that you are going to NV to buy ammo.. just go and buy it a mom and pop store that isn’t watched by CA DOJ and you “should” be fine. Just don’t shop at Cabela’s... DOJ watches CA plates...

Edit: FYI I recommend following the law and do not advocate... other options (other than reloading)

Last edited by commandpriority; 11-29-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Yo' View Post
Wow, CA cops watching which lawful businesses it's law-abiding citizen come and go from?

Sounds like CA is already the text book "police state."
Agreed. It can be quite oppressive.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:16 PM

MN state troopers have been known to watch the plates of people who cross the border at Hudson, WI to buy.... fireworks!