Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2018, 05:46 AM

Default M1903 sight cover useful?

Maybe someone can take a minute and answer a question that has long puzzled me.

Is the front sight, snap on cover, found on M1903 and M03A3 rifles really practical for use in combat?

At the range, even on clear days, I find that the sight cover restricts light and impedes rapid target acquisition.

Some have said that the cover's real value was only to protect the vulnerable front sight on those rifles.

Opinions, please?

Steven L. Ashe
Old 01-17-2018, 05:59 AM

Depends on which cover you have. Short one is for protection only and the high one is great for shooting, at least for me.

Semper Fi
Art
Old 01-17-2018, 06:25 AM

Thanks Art. I will need to look at mine, as I have a number of them. As I remember, once the hood is snapped on, the part that goes over the front sight blade is very close to the top of the blade.
Steven
Old 01-17-2018, 08:56 PM

Your sight cover is the standard cover and must be removed while shooting the rifle. This is unmistakable when you describe the tip of the blade being close to the top.
The cover nf1e is talking about is the USMC sight cover, they are noticeably larger (top loop) and thicker steel. The globe section around the tip of the sight is such that the average sight blade is in the center of the loop/ globe. They were meant to stay on and are difficult to install and remove. When or "if" you find them for sale the last few years they usually run around $75-$80.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:51 PM

As for combat I can't tell you if it helps but I do like my .100" front sight blade and the USMC front hood for target shooting the hood keeps glare down and helps me focus on the front sight
Old 01-17-2018, 10:23 PM

Hi Steve A.

The other posters nailed it!
I opened the spacing on the standard sight protector ears that snap on to the barrel.Also polished the edges,so it can snap on & off by hand.
So far very little damage to the barrel, all of which occurred getting the protector off for the first time.
I also was lucky to located a Marine large loop protector. That one stays on the rifle.

Good luck on your search,
broom
Old 01-18-2018, 05:42 AM

Thanks to all who responded. I did learn something. All 19 sight covers that I own are for transporting the rifle without damage to the front sight blade.

I will tell others, as I do see folks at the range using the low clearance sight covers when shooting.

Best,
Steven
Old 01-18-2018, 07:52 AM

Good info I never realized...I need to check mine...probably all standard height.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:00 AM

Besides protecting the front sight blade they are also useful in protecting ones hand should a rifle slip from his grasp. Those thin sight blades can cut a tremendous gash in flesh. Ask me how I know !!!

FWIW,

Emri
Old 01-18-2018, 07:49 PM

Yes, I believe that the Standard front sight covers were only to protect the blade in transport. They were certainly put on the rifles being shipped out from S.A. or R.I.A. to wherever else. Photos from the WWI era often show these sight covers on the rifles during field training or weapons handling.
They sure aren't something that I'd ever have on my rifle if I expected to be firing it. Never meant to be either.