Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCDave View Post
Pretty sure they are cardboard dividers. I can get 20 boxes in an ammo can just like the surplus M2.
My bad...I was wrong. Plastic dividers just like SMAWman stated. My ammo was a little more tarnished than usual but hey....as long as it goes bang I'm happy, happy, happy. Time to go wake up the MOD 1's.

Last edited by SFCDave; 02-03-2018 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 02-04-2018, 08:10 AM

Bought some of this from them a while ago and found that it shoots clean. No problems with it at all even though the outsides of the cartridge cases were tarnished.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM1MAN View Post
Bought some of this from them a while ago and found that it shoots clean. No problems with it at all even though the outsides of the cartridge cases were tarnished.
About 4 or so years ago I found it at Cabelas in 1k round bulk boxes, divided into two 500 rd cases, for $599 on sale from $699. This was when panic prices were still driving the market, and it was uncommon to find it, let alone on sale. 60 per was a great price then. I bought 2k. When I opened it I found the tarnished and stained brass like this, more cosmetic than anything else. It patterned like a shotgun out of my M1A, but the groups really tightened up out of a 7.62 chambered DPMS LR-308. Best I got was 2 MOA @ 100 yards when I did my part.

I'm interested to see how this batch does.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:25 PM

FYI. The markings on the boxes can be decoded somewhat.

XM80C is the most common. This is overrun ammo.

If you ever see XM80CL The L stands for LINKED, meaning that the ammo was linked up in belts for machine guns at some point. And the brass will show that.

XM80CS is bulk packed.

Rarely, and I do mean rarely you will see XM80PD. PD for Pull down. This is ammo that the test rounds didn't meet QA for FPS on the chrono. So they pull it down and sell it to us after they recharge it.

You can find XM118 (175 grain) with all of the above codes except CL of course.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlmann View Post
Oddball question: are the boxes like GI boxes, with cardboard dividers, or commercial boxes, with styrofoam or plastic dividers? The cardboard divider boxes are more compact and more will fit into an ammo can.
Here is a picture of how they are packed. This is XM62 tracer, but the XM80 will be packed the same in a white box.