Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2018, 12:16 PM

Creedmoor Sports sells Open Tip Boat Tail 30-06 ammo for the Garand that is setting the standard for match ammo.

Go to their site and check it out.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexterg View Post
I very likely will end up with a gas plug, I'm leaning towards the Schuster. The GarandGear seems to just give you a little more wiggle room, the shutter lets you just run whatever. And I like putting the bayonet on it at times. So I'll shoot my FMJ at the private range when I can go there, and buy some other stuff for the others.
Schuster makes a high volume gas plug (essentially the same as Garand Gear) that *I think* allows you to fix a bayonet ... and is also a little bit cheaper too.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:29 PM

Default Non FMJ ammo for Garand

I got the Schuster adjustable gas plug, and bought some 150gr Monarch (PPU) SP. I can buy that ammo off the shelf and it's pretty cheap (well, cheap for 30-06). The numbers on it look good for the Garand. I could likely run it without the Schuster plug, but I'm going to put it in there to be safe.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexterg View Post
I got the Schuster adjustable gas plug, and bought some 150gr Monarch (PPU) SP. I can buy that ammo off the shelf and it's pretty cheap (well, cheap for 30-06). The numbers on it look good for the Garand. I could likely run it without the Schuster plug, but I'm going to put it in there to be safe.
Curious as to the makers of your Monarch ammo, they seem to sell from different sources? Corrected.

Last edited by Old Guard; 02-13-2018 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Incorrect question
Old 02-13-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Are you sure about the monarch being ppu..At Academy sports, I was certain it was russian....I am almost phobic about tula (russian} since my son had a AR blow the bolt out..

The rounds have PPU stamped on them. Box says it's Made in Serbia
Old 02-13-2018, 08:32 PM

You will like the schuster. It's easy to use, just follow the directions. Some say you can dial in the ejection too, although I haven't been able to do that. It does make mine more consistent about where the emptys end up.

good luck!
Old 02-13-2018, 09:37 PM

My point on the PPU 150 PSP is that it is rated at 2900 fps. it would seem a little hot for an M-1 Garand and it does not state on the box that it is M-1 Garand Safe. Get either a non-adjustable gas plug or an adjustable gas plug while firing this ammo to be safe. To just say it seems okay does not make any sense.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM1MAN View Post
My point on the PPU 150 PSP is that it is rated at 2900 fps. it would seem a little hot for an M-1 Garand and it does not state on the box that it is M-1 Garand Safe. Get either a non-adjustable gas plug or an adjustable gas plug while firing this ammo to be safe. To just say it seems okay does not make any sense.

I wasn't planning to run it without the Schuster, but I was told I could. That person may have been wrong, but I wasn't going to risk it since I didn't check it myself.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:07 AM

My apologies on my post, it wasn't directed at you. I should have worded it differently. What I meant to say was that folks in general say a lot of things, especially about ammunition that may or may not be true.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM1MAN View Post
My apologies on my post, it wasn't directed at you. I should have worded it differently. What I meant to say was that folks in general say a lot of things, especially about ammunition that may or may not be true.

My wording may make someone else think that the PPU is safe, so it's definitely worth you pointing it out.