Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2018, 12:38 AM

Default we can only hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmark View Post
I always look forward to currently made WWII movies. This one has to be a good one to surpass the popularity of the movie Saving Private Ryan.
SPR was good, and seemed to bring us into a more modern era of film making reflecting a lot of the realism and brutality of war. But it was fiction. This one will be special for me as I remember my Uncle talking a little about that battle. I never thought this late in the game the "glider riders" would get a fair showing in a film. Maybe they will this time. Either way, it is sad to remember that as notorious as this one battle was, there were many many more.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:14 AM

The current owners of La Fiere Manor(sorry can’t remember names)is interesting as he was a French Naval officer and she was an American.They met while he was at Norfolk,VA.
Married and acquired the manor.They provided a lunch for our Dog Tag Tours group at their gift shop.Very interesting folks.
The area surrounding the bridge and river is all farm fields with cattle.One has to imagine the entire area as being flooded and this bridge and narrow causeway was the scene of some incredible valor and battle.
If visiting this place do yourself a favor and read “No Better Place to Die”.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:29 AM

Just picked up the Kindle book on Amazon for $4 and change. Looking forward to reading it.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:34 AM

Read the book few years ago. After seeing this thread I got interested and started the book again. About 50% done. Looking forward to this movie and hoping it materializes being that it looks to be a crowdfunded project.

Last edited by csburbank; 02-15-2018 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyBGood View Post
The current owners of La Fiere Manor(sorry can’t remember names)is interesting as he was a French Naval officer and she was an American.They met while he was at Norfolk,VA.
Married and acquired the manor.They provided a lunch for our Dog Tag Tours group at their gift shop.Very interesting folks.
The area surrounding the bridge and river is all farm fields with cattle.One has to imagine the entire area as being flooded and this bridge and narrow causeway was the scene of some incredible valor and battle.
If visiting this place do yourself a favor and read “No Better Place to Die”.
The LaFiere bridge and manor are incredible. The story of the defense of that bridge is a fascinating accomplishment. Also, if you are in the vicinity, make sure to visit the bridge at Chef du Pont also. I was there in 2004 and again in 2007; can't wait to go back! The film should be outstanding.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:36 AM

Took this picture of the causeway looking west from the bridge (toward Cauquigny) in 2008. In 1944 the low-lying land on both sides was flooded and marshy.