Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2018, 08:00 PM

Default So I picked up a Mosin Nagant...

So I finally broke down and picked up a Mosin Nagant... it’s a 1945 Tula build, so I’m guessing it was one of the last to be produced in the Soviet Union and probably saw little if any action during the war. I’ve never really liked the Mosin Nagant, but being a history nerd I wanted at least one example of the main arm used by all the major powers in the European theatre. I just find it an ugly rifle with a spotty reputation for accuracy. Still, overall this one is very nice. While the receiver is a bit rough, the barrel has strong grooves and the sights are pretty nice considering they're V-notch. They’re certainly better than my AK iron sights. The bolt is actually surprisingly smooth and the trigger isn’t that bad. It’s certainly better than the one on my M48 Mauser. And that’s presumably still with cosmoline coating it. The barrel is still coated in cosmoline, but most of the rest of it seems to have been cleaned and it does a couple of small surface rust spots on the bolt handle.

Maybe this rifle will change my mind on the Mosin once I get it out to the range... But that probably won’t be for a few months.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:15 PM

What model did you get? They are fun to shoot!! Fire comes out the barrel!!
Old 03-01-2018, 08:28 PM

Just a standard 91/30
Old 03-01-2018, 08:34 PM

I love shooting my mosin m44 but without a limb saver it beats me up.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:42 PM

Everybody needs on. A M44 ‘flamethrower’ is always good also. ...then spoil yourself with a M39 Finnish Mosin
Old 03-01-2018, 09:00 PM

So sorry for your loss
Of money; Mosin's can be addictive.
I have a dozen or so, and find they are as accurate as other period milsurps.
I think that some of the reputation for innacuracy comes from jo sixpack, lack of proper cleaning (most ammo is corrsive, no issues if you are in the Soviet Army as they train and require proper cleaning, not so much for the 1st time milsurp buyer) and unrealistic accuracy expectations (beer cans on a fence at 100 yards 1st time out may not be realistic).

M28/76 at 300 yards with (good) surplus ammo. It took some testing and practice to get there, but not much. And I am by no means an expert shooter. I do buy many milsurps.....
I have a 91/30 that is not far from that.
JH
Old 03-05-2018, 07:10 PM

Picked up a trigger pull gauge... The trigger pull on the Mosin varies between 5.5lbs and just over 7lbs over 6 pulls. Very inconsistent, but still better than my M48 which didn’t break until the scale bottomed out.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewbaby View Post
Everybody needs on. A M44 ‘flamethrower’ is always good also. ...then spoil yourself with a M39 Finnish Mosin
I first bought an M44 actually made in 1944. You do not want to use them for target shooting after dusk. So that lead me to getting a Hex receiver 91/30 for dad. It still is packed in goo. As lethe said, a shoulder pad is a good idea. luckily, my M44 does not require a 2x4 to operate the bolt and the trigger on it is decent.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:03 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to ItsGarand

I have a 91/30.

My 1903 doesn't bother me too much to shoot.

Shooting that MoNag is like getting kicked by two mules. It hurts after a few shots.

Those big heavy wool coats they wore weren't for the cold.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:07 AM

Hi Sir,

Many of them were rebuilt as reserve or make work projects!

Look on the butt-stock for a small square or box or a box with a diagonal or vertical- line through it- A rebuild mark.
Usually the for-end stock is pressing on the barrel on one side or another. A socket with some rough sand paper, will clear that problem up quickly.
Usually they shoot better with some upward pressure READ up on this BEFORE you start fooling with it!
Seal the stock with BLO or your favored stock sealer. The rifle will shot better!
There is lots of good info. on cleaning up the trigger. Which might just be to cut a thin piece of soda can, to make a washer installed under the trigger spring.

It will be "better" but never as good as new rifles! Want to spend some money on it? They make a replacement ball bearing trigger for it!
-----------BEWARE they are ADDICTIVE! ---------

Enjoy,
broom

Last edited by broomhandle; 03-08-2018 at 07:16 AM.