Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2018, 09:48 AM

Very handsome and interesting rifle. I also had no idea these existed. Didn't track the serial number range, but I'm pretty sure I messed up at an auction a few years ago. Rifle had all these same characteristics and sold in the "sporterized" range. A quick check of the internet tells me these in all original are selling North of 4k.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Very handsome and interesting rifle. I also had no idea these existed. Didn't track the serial number range, but I'm pretty sure I messed up at an auction a few years ago. Rifle had all these same characteristics and sold in the "sporterized" range. A quick check of the internet tells me these in all original are selling North of 4k.
Thanks, Polaris!

Regarding prices, they're asking a whole lot for them, that's for sure. Not sure what they're actually selling for, though.
New Jersey State Trooper #3936 (retired 4-1-1991)
NRA LE Firearms Instructor

Last edited by XTrooper; 03-12-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTrooper View Post
Thanks, Polaris!

Regarding prices, they're asking a whole lot for them, that's for sure. Not sure what they're actually selling for, though.
Glad you're going to shoot it. Makes me a little sad to see all these fine rifles hoarded by collectors and gathering dust in a safe. Prices a lot of people out of the market for shooting the fantastic 1903 and M17. That's why I shoot Swiss and Swedish rifles, and even those have gone nuts the last few years.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Glad you're going to shoot it. Makes me a little sad to see all these fine rifles hoarded by collectors and gathering dust in a safe. Prices a lot of people out of the market for shooting the fantastic 1903 and M17. That's why I shoot Swiss and Swedish rifles, and even those have gone nuts the last few years.
I'm glad some are keeping their weapons for posterity, but I decided a number of years ago now that I'll no longer own a firearm I can't (or won't) shoot. I stay away from pristine, minty examples of any kind of vintage firearm these days for exactly that reason.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:53 PM

Well, I removed the protector from my front sight and took some photos of it today. As you can see, it has a Lyman 26 NS blade with a gold bead.
Yes, the front sight base and its retaining screw look like they were gnawed by a wolverine and, no, I have nothing to do with their present condition.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:20 PM

Very nice, indeed! And nice photos!! Value wise, it being a "sportered sporter", you might be pushing it at $1,500.

I am curious as to the finishes. The barrel shows milling lines and the receiver looks parkerized? Did JB comment further on any of that?

Mike
Old 03-28-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Very nice, indeed! And nice photos!! Value wise, it being a "sportered sporter", you might be pushing it at $1,500.

I am curious as to the finishes. The barrel shows milling lines and the receiver looks parkerized? Did JB comment further on any of that?

Mike
Thanks, Mike! I don't know a thing about milling marks so can't comment. The receiver has traces of bluing left. It was never parkerized. No, JB didn't comment on either.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:52 PM

Steve,

I just found this thread and may be able to provide some info that will help you figure out what you have. As someone mentioned previously, your rifle's serial number does not appear in the SRS list but number 1343992 is listed as an NRA Sporter and number 1343973 is listed as a 1903 National Match. A lot of rifles in that serial number range are NRA Sporters and a lesser number are National Match. I would bet that your rifle started out as a NRA Sporter or National Match. The NRA Sporters in that serial number range have the serial number of the rifle etched on the bottom of the bolt. When the bolt is out of the rifle the extractor has to rotated 90 degrees to see it. Also, star guage number on the bottom of the barrel in an area that is covered by the fore end. On the NM the star guage number is under the barrel nearer the muzzle where it is covered by the upper hand guard. In the 1920's and 1930's some NRA Sporters were presented to winners of the national matches. Their serial numbers would not be on the SRS list.

The lack of cross bolts and the cheek piece tell us that it is not a modified NRA Sporter stock.
The beautiful stock on the rifle is the work of a master gunsmith.

Herschel

Last edited by Herschel; 03-28-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
Steve,

I just found this thread and may be able to provide some info that will help you figure out what you have. As someone mentioned previously, your rifle's serial number does not appear in the SRS list but number 1343992 is listed as an NRA Sporter and number 1343973 is listed as a 1903 National Match. A lot of rifles in that serial number range are NRA Sporters and a lesser number are National Match. I would bet that your rifle started out as a NRA Sporter or National Match. The NRA Sporters in that serial number range have the serial number of the rifle etched on the bottom of the bolt. When the bolt is out of the rifle the extractor has to rotated 90 degrees to see it. Also, star guage number on the bottom of the barrel in an area that is covered by the fore end. On the NM the star guage number is under the barrel nearer the muzzle where it is covered by the upper hand guard. In the 1920's and 1930's some NRA Sporters were presented to winners of the national matches. Their serial numbers would not be on the SRS list.

The lack of cross bolts and the cheek piece tell us that it is not a modified NRA Sporter stock.
The beautiful stock on the rifle is the work of a master gunsmith.

Herschel
Thanks for taking the time to post in this thread and to share your knowledge regarding my rifle, Herschel. The bolt does not have the serial number etched on it. The barrel does have the star gauge stamp on the muzzle at the 6 o'clock position and its star gauge number is positioned as you describe above for an NRA Sporter, i.e., on the underside of the barrel closer to the muzzle end.
So are you saying this rifle could possibly have been a presentation rifle? This makes me wonder if any photographs exist of rifles presented to national match winners. It would be interesting to see if any of them had custom stocks rather than normal NRA Sporter stocks and, if so, whether they resembled the stock on my rifle. So many questions!

Last edited by XTrooper; 03-30-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:12 AM

I didn't make my message clear. The star gauge number on the NM is closer to the muzzle. I have seen photos of NRA Sporters presented to Match winners in the 1930's.
All appear to be standard NRA Sporters, none with checkering. I have learned to not say "never" or "always" when describing what was done at SA. Nicely customized 1903's are in a collectable class by themselves. If you could determine who did the custom stock work it might enhance the rifle's value. I have a couple of what Petrov described as depression era sporters that experts say were the work of Griffin & Howe but the G & H name does no appear on them. I have proud to have them in my collection.