Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2018, 07:06 PM

Great thread!
Please shoot this rifle in a CMP Sniper match, and post results.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He knew war,and was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/
Old 03-09-2018, 07:20 PM

I definitely plan to shoot this in vintage sniper matches eventually. That's what Grandpa would've wanted. He only had firearms for practical use, not for safe queens. He would've want this one to be shot for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon762 View Post
Great thread!
Please shoot this rifle in a CMP Sniper match, and post results.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:28 PM

A rifle that has been refinished is considered to have no original finish. Your rifle currently has some original finish and some parts have arsenal refinish (parkerizing), which is not bad. You may spend several hundred dollars getting your rifle refinished and end up with a rifle worth several hundred dollars less than when you started. Not smart. Leave the current finish alone, especially if you plan to do a lot of shooting with the rifle.

If you want to upgrade the appearance of your rifle, then replace the parts which have been arsenal parkerized with parts having factory-original blue finish. These include the barrel bands, trigger guard, bolt sleeve/firing pin assembly, buttplate, handguard retaining ring, magazine cutoff, and butt swivel. A good way to get those parts is to buy a nice M'03-A3 with original finish, swap the parts, then sell the M'03-A3 and recoup much of your expense.

If you plan to do a lot of shooting with your rifle, you would be wise to find out how well the existing barrel shoots. If the existing barrel shoots o.k., then don't bother replacing it and store your spare barrel. I must point out that a lot of factors besides bore condition have a huge affect on accuracy. So replacing the barrel is no assurance whatsoever of improving the accuracy.

Good Luck! Thanks for sharing.

J.B.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:46 PM

Thumbs up Wise advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
A rifle that has been refinished is considered to have no original finish. Your rifle currently has some original finish and some parts have arsenal refinish (parkerizing), which is not bad. You may spend several hundred dollars getting your rifle refinished and end up with a rifle worth several hundred dollars less than when you started. Not smart. Leave the current finish alone, especially if you plan to do a lot of shooting with the rifle.

If you want to upgrade the appearance of your rifle, then replace the parts which have been arsenal parkerized with parts having factory-original blue finish. These include the barrel bands, trigger guard, bolt sleeve/firing pin assembly, buttplate, handguard retaining ring, magazine cutoff, and butt swivel. A good way to get those parts is to buy a nice M'03-A3 with original finish, swap the parts, then sell the M'03-A3 and recoup much of your expense.

If you plan to do a lot of shooting with your rifle, you would be wise to find out how well the existing barrel shoots. If the existing barrel shoots o.k., then don't bother replacing it and store your spare barrel. I must point out that a lot of factors besides bore condition have a huge affect on accuracy. So replacing the barrel is no assurance whatsoever of improving the accuracy.

Good Luck! Thanks for sharing.

J.B.
Typical JB - Non critical - spot on advise. If you insist on your idea. I kinda think Grandpa just died again.

Rob
Old 03-10-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob257 View Post
Typical JB - Non critical - spot on advise. If you insist on your idea. I kinda think Grandpa just died again.

Rob
I haven't insisted on any idea yet. That was the point of my original post, to get the thoughts and expertise from the members of this forum that are much more knowledgeable about this rifle than I am before I proceed any further.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:30 AM

Thanks J.B.

This is one of the parts I always struggle with, identifying the moment with a rifle's metal finish when it is appropriate to leave it alone versus repark, especially with regard to value and such. Obviously that decision is always a case by case, rifle by rifle basis. I appreciate your insight. Of course, aesthetics are always nice, as everybody wants a good looking rifle. I'm more concerned though about proper function and range performance in all of it's A4 glory. And if I can do that while maintaining it's historical correctness and character, then so much the better.

Now that the weather is getting nicer, I'll get it out to the range and see how it performs with the barrel that's in it now. This rifle hasn't been shot in decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
Old 03-10-2018, 08:42 AM

Cavtanker, if it were mine I would install the 1-44 barrel, find original finish parts for all that were pointed out by John, and keep your eyes open for an original scope base. Ohio gun shows are top shelf and I'm sure you will find everything. It doesn't have to be done in day. Just one piece at a time.
A local gun shop had one restored. It ended up selling for 1800 with an M73B1 scope on it. Like John said refinishing it may kill off the value a bit. Mine is original finish and I wouldn't sell it for less than 4 or 5 g's.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:10 AM

spend the time, and money, and do it right,
unless you plan on selling it, the value is a moot point.
your scope is mounted fine,
the base, is not G.I. stock you found for it is not an A4 stock.
restoration if done right, will help its value, restoration if done badly, will hurt its value.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckindenver View Post
restoration if done right, will help its value,
Thanks Chuck,

I definitely want to do it the right way. Thanks for responding to my email, I'll give you a call tomorrow.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:04 PM

Cavtanker, as you are undoubtedly aware the Lyman Alaskan can be mounted with the W/E turrets between the rings or forward of the front ring as Jack Hammer mentioned.

I would suggest you try it both ways and make a decision based on your perception of the eye relief from the position you are likely to be shooting from (i.e. Prone).

FWIW there is only one OFFICIAL photograph of an A4 with an M73 Scope (Lyman Alaskan) mounted. It was originally published in TM 9-2100 in Oct 1943. There are several features about the A4 which leads me to believe that the Alaskan was really the preferred scope for the A4. It was just unfortunate that Lyman was unable to deliver them on a timely basis so we wound up with the little Weaver 330C as a substitute (M73B1).

If you would like a copy of the Manual photograph send me a PM with your email address.

BTW if you are planning on participating in the CMP Vintage Sniper Games one advantage of the forward mounting of the scope is that the rifle's SAFETY remains operable.

Good Luck.

Regards
Jim